Turkey-Vegetable Couscous with California Raisins
A one-dish meal for the crowd.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon dried rosemary leaves
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 pound boneless turkey breast, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic cloves
- 1 pound butternut squash (1 small), peeled and cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 2 medium carrots, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 large lemon, thinly sliced
- 1 jar (3-1/2 ounces) capers, drained and rinsed
- 12 kalamata olives, pitted
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) reduced-sodium, fat-free chicken broth
- 1 large zucchini, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 large green pepper, seeded and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 3 Roma tomatoes, cut into quarters
- 1 can (15-ounces) chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 2 packages couscous (6 servings each)
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric
- 1/2 cup California golden raisins
- 11 cups California natural raisins
- 1 package (4 ounces) Feta cheese, crumbled; for garnish
In large self-sealing plastic bag, combine oil, vinegar, rosemary, thyme, salt and pepper. Add turkey cubes. Close bag and knead until turkey is well coated. Store in refrigerator overnight.
Lightly coat 5-quart saucepan with vegetable spray; heat on medium-high and brown turkey in small batches, removing each batch as browned.
Re-spray pan with vegetable spray. Add onion and garlic; sauté about 2 minutes or until onion is tender. Add squash and carrots; cook about 1 minute. Stir in lemon, capers and olives till combined. Pour in chicken broth and bring to boil; reduce heat and simmer for 25 minutes.
Add zucchini, green pepper, tomatoes and chickpeas to pan. Return to boil; reduce heat and simmer 10 minutes or until vegetables are tender.
Prepare couscous according to package directions; season with tumeric and stir in raisins. Arrange on large platter and top with turkey mixture. Sprinkle Feta cheese overall.
Nutrition Facts Per Serving
Calories 420 (21% from fat); Total Fat 10g (sat 2g, mono 4g, poly 2g, trans 0g ); Cholesterol 30mg; Protein 22g; Carbohydrate 64g; (Dietary Fiber 11g; Sugars 21g; ); Iron 4mg; Sodium 500mg; Calcium 144mg; Potassium 859mg
Comment on the Recipe
Comments may be moderated. If you don't see your comment, please be patient. It may be posted soon. Do not post your comment a second time. Thank you.