Sweet Potato-Raisin Bread Squares
- Serving Size: (1/8 cup vegetables/fruits + 1 grains/breads)
- 1/2 No.10 can canned sweet potatoes, drained
- 6 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 1/2 cups sugar
- 1/4 cup instant nonfat dry milk*
- 2 tablespoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon ground cloves
- 4 whole eggs
- 1 1/4 cups water
- 1 cup shortening
- 3/4 cup California raisins
- 1 1/2 cups chopped walnuts
1. Mash drained sweet potatoes. Set aside.
2. Blend flour, sugar, dry milk, baking powder, baking soda, salt, allspice, nutmeg and cloves for 1 minute in mixer bowl on low speed.
3. Combined eggs and water. Add shortening and liquid mixture to dry ingredients. Blend for 1 minute on low speed. Beat for additional 1 minute on medium speed.
4. Add mashed sweet potatoes, raisins and nuts. Blend for 30 seconds on low speed. Beat for 1 minute on medium speed. DO NOT OVER MIX. Batter will be lumpy.
5. Pour batter into lightly greased steamtable pan (12 x 20 x 2 1/2-inch).
6. Bake in Conventioanl oven – 350°F for 55 to 65 minutes or Convection oven – 300°F for 35 to 45 minutes.
7. Cool. Cut 5 X 10 (50 pieces).
1. Substitute 2 tablespoons noninstant nonfat dry milk for instant nonfat dry milk if desired.
2. For loaf pan, pour 2 pounds 4 ounces (1-1/2 quarts) batter into each of 3 lighlty greased loaf pans (4 x 10 x 4-inch). Bake in Conventional oven – 350°F for 1 1/4 to 1 1/2 hours or Convection oven – 300°F for 40 to 50 minutes. Remove from pans. Cool completely. Cut each loaf into 17 slices about 1/2-inch thick.
Nutrition Facts Per Serving
Calories 190 (31% from fat); Total Fat 7g (sat 1.5g, mono 2.5g, poly 3g, trans 0.5g ); Cholesterol 15mg; Protein 4g; Carbohydrate 30g; (Dietary Fiber 1g; Sugars 16g; ); Iron 1mg; Sodium 125mg; Calcium 35mg; Potassium 174mg
Comment on the Recipe
Comments may be moderated. If you don't see your comment, please be patient. It may be posted soon. Do not post your comment a second time. Thank you.