Sun-dried Tomato Raisin Relish
Sun drying brings out the best in tomatoes and raisins to make a vegetable side dish, dip or spread.
- Serving Size: 1/4 cup
- 1 eggplant
- 3/4 cup extra virgin olive oil, divided
- 1 tablespoon roasted garlic purée
- 1 yellow onion, peeled and cut in matchstick-size pieces (julienne)
- 2 cups California raisins
- 1 pound sun-dried tomatoes, cut in matchstick-size pieces (julienne)
- 1 tablespoon salt-packed capers, rinsed and rough chopped
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh basil
- 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
- Sea salt and fresh ground black pepper, to taste
Preheat oven to 375°F. Cut eggplant in half lengthwise and score cut surface. Brush with 6 tablespoons (3 ounces) olive oil. Arrange on baking sheet and roast, skin side down for 30 minutes or until soft. Cool; scoop out flesh and chop fine. Reserve.
Heat remaining olive oil in large sautépan over medium heat and sauté garlic. Add onions and sauté until caramelized to golden brown and soft. Stir in raisins and tomatoes, and continue cooking for 5 minutes over low heat. Add capers, basil, vinegar and eggplant; cook 5 minutes more. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
Serve at room temperature as a condiment for meats or seafood. Also makes great dip or spread.
Nutrition Facts Per Serving
Calories 220 (40% from fat); Total Fat 10g (sat 1.5g, mono 7g, poly 1g, trans 0g ); Cholesterol 0mg; Protein 5g; Carbohydrate 31g; (Dietary Fiber 5g; Sugars 20g; ); Iron 3mg; Sodium 550mg; Calcium 39mg; Potassium 1080mg
Comment on the Recipe
Comments may be moderated. If you don't see your comment, please be patient. It may be posted soon. Do not post your comment a second time. Thank you.