Strawberry-Rhubarb and Golden Raisin Jam
Tart rhubarb, zesty ginger, tangy raisins and sweet strawberries join forces for this treat.
- Serving Size: 2 tablespoons
- 3 pounds individually quick-frozen strawberries*
- 4 cups sugar, divided
- 1/2 cup water, divided
- 1 pint frozen unsweetened rhubarb*, finely chopped
- 3 tablespoons fresh gingerroot, peeled and chopped fine
- 2 tablespoons fresh-squeezed lemon juice
- 4 cups California golden raisin paste*
- 4 cups California golden raisins
- 6 fluid ounce liquid pectin
Measure strawberries, 3-1/2 cups sugar, and 1/4 cup water into an 8-quart saucepan; heat to simmer and cook on low, stirring frequently, until strawberries are thawed and tender. Meanwhile, combine rhubarb, remaining 1/4 cup water, 1/2 cup sugar, gingerroot and lemon juice in 1-quart saucepan; bring to boil, reduce heat and simmer 3 minutes, until rhubarb is tender. Mash strawberries with immersion blender or potato masher and stir in raisin paste, mixing well. Add raisins and return to heat.
Add rhubarb to pan with strawberries; return to boil over high heat, stirring constantly. Add liquid pectin all at once, return to full rolling boil, stirring constantly, and boil for 1 minute. Remove from heat; skim if necessary. Turn into sterilized jars or clean containers; cover, seal and cool. Store at room temperature or keep unsealed containers in refrigerator.
1. Jam may also be prepared with an equal amount of fresh strawberries that have been stemmed and crushed, and an equal amount of fresh rhubarb that has been finely chopped.
2. Golden raisin paste is available from foodservice and industrial suppliers. To make your own raisin paste, grind or process in a food processor whole California raisins (8 cups) equal to twice the amount of raisin paste (4 cups) required until very finely chopped and smooth.
Nutrition Facts Per Serving
Calories 100 (1% from fat); Total Fat 0g (sat 0g, mono 0g, poly 0g, trans 0g ); Cholesterol 0mg; Protein 1g; Carbohydrate 26g; (Dietary Fiber 1g; Sugars 23g; ); Iron 0mg; Sodium 0mg; Calcium 19mg; Potassium 184mg
Comment on the Recipe
Comments may be moderated. If you don't see your comment, please be patient. It may be posted soon. Do not post your comment a second time. Thank you.