Sprouted Wheat Bread with California Raisins
- Ready Time :
- Twenty-four (24) hours before final mixing, put wheat berries to soak in water, ideally, in a very warm room (about 80°F).
- Twelve (12) hours before final mixing, gently mix sponge ingredients together with bench scraper or wooden spoon until mixture forms shaggy dough. Cover with plastic wrap or damp towel and leave at room temperature (75°F) for 12 hours.
- Macerate raisins in warm water or orange juice (75°F) just to cover; let stand for 12 hours. (Desired final macerated weights are approximately 72% raisins and 28% liquid.) 2
- Drain wheat berries; rinse thoroughly and grind coarsely. Drain raisins thoroughly. Scale out final amounts of wheat berries and macerated raisins. Set both aside.
- Break sponge into smaller pieces and place in bowl of spiral mixer. Add wheat flour, water, raisin juice concentrate, gluten, milk powder, yeast, salt and ground wheat berries; mix on 1st speed for 3 minutes. Add raisin paste and honey; mix on 2nd speed for 5 minutes more.
- Add drained raisins and mix on 1st speed until fully incorporated, 1 to 2 minutes. (Dough should be 75°F at this point. Do not over mix.)
- Remove dough from mixer and place in a covered container to bulk ferment for 2 hours folding after 1 hour.
- Divide into 17.7-ounce (500-gram) pieces and shape into cylinders. Let rest for 20 minutes. Shape into loaves and place in oiled bread pans. Proof for 1 hour and score as desired.
- Bake at 400°F for about 45 minutes or until done. Remove from pans to wire racks and cool completely.
This recipe is found in the following categories:
(No Ratings Yet)
Comments are closed.