Spicy Pork Carnitas on Soft Corn Sopes with California Raisins, Red Raisin Syrup and Poblano Crèma
Little bites topped with spicy pork, raisin drizzle and poblano crema.
- 1 cup masa harina
- 2 tablespoons shortening
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- Vegetable oil or olive oil
- 1 cup roasted pork, shredded (about 6 ounces)
- 1 tablespoon taco seasoning
- 1 tablespoon ground Mexican cumin
- 3 tablespoons California golden raisins
- 1/2 cup thin sliced onion
- 1/4 cup sliced jalapeño peppers*
- 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons California raisin juice concentrate*
- Salt and pepper flakes; to taste
Red Raisin Drizzle
- 1/4 cup California raisin juice concentrate*
- 1 tablespoon distilled white vinegar
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 2 tablespoons chopped poblano chiles
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 cup Sour cream
- 1 tablespoon Lime zest
- Water; as needed
- Salt; to taste
- 1/4 cup sliced radishes
- 1 tablespoon chopped cilantro and parsley, mixed
- 1/4 cup Queso Fresco, crumbled
Combine all ingredients in bowl; mix thoroughly by hand until soft ball forms. Let rest 15 minutes. Divide into equal portions about the size of 1/2 a golf ball. Flatten dough slightly in palm to 1/4-inch thick and just large enough to fit inside palm of hand.
Arrange several pieces on hot, lightly greased or ungreased nonstick pan; press to flatten, again. Cook until golden brown turn and brown other side. When cooked press centers down so sopes cup a little. Set aside on wax paper. Serve warm. May also be refrigerated and reheated in oven.
In heavy pan, heat oil over high heat. Fry pork, until it begins to crisp. Add taco seasoning and cumin; continue to fry several seconds more. Stir in raisins; cook until plump. When meat is thoroughly coated and evenly crisp, add onion and jalapeño. Deglaze pan with vinegar as needed; add raisin juice concentrate and mix thoroughly. Adjust seasoning with salt and red pepper flakes.
Red Raisin Drizzle
Gently mix ingredients together in small bowl.
Combine ingredients in blender and process on high; adding water if needed, to thin. Add salt, to taste.
Pile pork mixture onto warm sopes. Drizzle with Red Raisin Drizzle and Poblano Crèma. Top with sliced radishes, chopped herbs and cheese crumbles.
Chef Notes: If unable to find masa harina, substitute 1 cup instant cornmeal mixed with 1 1/4 cups water and allow to stand until softened.
Select one jalapeño with seeds or two with seeds removed, depending on heat desired for carnitas. Be sure to wear rubber gloves while working with these and other hot peppers.
For home cooks, substitute light molasses for California raisin juice concentrate. Commercially prepared California raisin juice concentrate is available from foodservice and industrial suppliers.
Nutrition Facts Per Serving
Calories 90 (20% from fat); Total Fat 2g (sat 0.5g, mono 1g, poly 0.5g, trans 0g ); Cholesterol 5mg; Protein 4g; Carbohydrate 15g; (Dietary Fiber <1g; Sugars 9g; ); Iron 1mg; Sodium 75mg; Calcium 42mg; Potassium 130mg
Comment on the Recipe
Comments may be moderated. If you don't see your comment, please be patient. It may be posted soon. Do not post your comment a second time. Thank you.