Seven Vegetable Tagine with Chickpeas and Raisins
A spicy Moroccan vegetable stew served with couscous and chickpeas.
- Serving Size: about 2-1/2 cups
- 1 tablespoon turmeric
- 1 tablespoon ground ginger
- 1 tablespoon curry powder
- 2 tablespoons coriander seeds, toasted and ground
- 2 tablespoons cumin seeds, toasted and ground
- 1 1/2 cups California raisins
- 2 cups turnips, cut in wedges
- 8 cups cooked couscous
- 1/2 cup fruity olive oil, divided
- 2 cups yellow onions, sliced
- 2 cups red and/or yellow bell peppers, diced
- 1 cinnamon stick (about 3 inches)
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 large piece of orange peel
- 1 pinch pf saffron
- 4 to 6 cups tomatoes, peeled and chopped
- 1 fennel bulb, cut into eighths
- 2 cups carrots, cut into 3/4-inch slices
- 2 cups celery root; trimmed, peeled and diced
- 2 cups zucchini, cut into 3/4-inch slices
- 2 cups cooked or canned chickpeas
- 2 tablespoons chopped preserved lemon
- 1/2 cup yogurt; for garnish
- 1/4 cup Fresh cilantro leaves; for garnish
Measure and mix spices together in small bowl; set aside.
Combine raisins with enough water to cover and set aside to plump. Blanch turnip wedges for 3 minutes in boiling water; immediately cool in ice water bath and drain. Steam couscous according to package directions, cool and hand rub with a small amount of olive oil.
Heat remaining olive oil in large saucepot over medium heat. Add onions and bell peppers; cook slowly until soft and tender, do not brown. Stir in spice mix, cinnamon stick, bay leaves, orange peel and saffron mixed with 2 tablespoons hot water; cook for 5 minutes more. Stir in tomatoes and 2 cups water; heat to simmer and cook until juicy. Add fennel and carrots; cook 10 minutes. Add celery root and cook, 15 minutes more. Then, add blanched turnips and zucchini; cook for another 15 minutes. Cover and cook until all vegetables are tender.
Combine cooked chickpeas with steamed couscous and steam again until heated through. Drain raisins and add to vegetables along with preserved lemon. Adjust seasonings with salt and pepper.
Divide and mound hot couscous-chickpea mixture onto individual serving plates; divide and spoon vegetable tagine on top. Drizzle with yogurt and sprinkle with cilantro.
Nutrition Facts Per Serving
Calories 390 (25% from fat); Total Fat 11g (sat 1g, mono 7g, poly 1g, trans 0g ); Cholesterol 0mg; Protein 10g; Carbohydrate 65g; (Dietary Fiber 10g; Sugars 23g; ); Iron 4mg; Sodium 90mg; Calcium 117mg; Potassium 946mg
Comment on the Recipe
Comments may be moderated. If you don't see your comment, please be patient. It may be posted soon. Do not post your comment a second time. Thank you.