Seared Sea Scallops with Mushroom Raisin Goulash
Submitted by: Robert Gadsby
Hungarian vegetable goulash tops sea scallops.
- Serving Size: 3 scallops, about 1/4 cup goulash
- 1 tablespoon peanut oil
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 1 medium onion, peeled and diced
- 1 medium carrot, peeled and diced
- 1 medium celery stalk, peeled and diced
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 garlic clove, peeled and minced
- 3 ounce mixed mushrooms; cleaned, trimmed and diced
- 1/2 cup California golden raisins
- 1/3 cup California natural raisins
- 1/2 tablespoon fresh thyme leaves
- 1 small tomato, seeded and diced
- 2 ounce sun-dried tomatoes
- 1/2 tablespoon smoked paprika
- 3/4 cup chicken broth
- 18 large sea scallops
- Salt and fresh ground white pepper
- Oil; for frying
- 1 cup (3 ounces) micro greens or herb salad greens; for garnish
For Goulash, heat oils in large skillet over medium heat. Add onion, carrot, celery, salt and pepper. Cook, stirring occasionally, until vegetables begin to soften, about 5 minutes. Stir in garlic and cook for 1 minute more. Then, add mushrooms, raisins and thyme. Cook, stirring frequently, until mushrooms are almost tender, about 3 minutes. Add tomatoes and paprika; cook 2 minutes more. Stir in broth a little at a time bringing to simmer before each addition. Continue to simmer until thick but not dry, about 20 minutes. Set aside to cool.
Dry scallops thoroughly with paper towels; season both sides with salt and white pepper. Heat a small amount of oil in a large well-seasoned skillet over medium-high heat. Add scallops and adjust heat so oil sizzles but does not smoke. Cook scallops until brown, about 2 minutes; turn and cook, basting with oil, until opaque and beginning to firm, about 1 minute more. Divide and arrange on 6 warm serving plates.
Reheat goulash over medium heat, stirring gently, just until heated through. Divide and spoon over scallops; garnish with greens and serve immediately.
Nutrition Facts Per Serving
Calories 200 (24% from fat); Total Fat 6g (sat 1g, mono 2g, poly 2g, trans 0g ); Cholesterol 15mg; Protein 11g; Carbohydrate 30g; (Dietary Fiber 4g; Sugars 20g; ); Iron 2mg; Sodium 370mg; Calcium 55mg; Potassium 874mg
This recipe is found in the following categories:
Comment on the Recipe
Comments may be moderated. If you don't see your comment, please be patient. It may be posted soon. Do not post your comment a second time. Thank you.