Seared Liberty Farm Duck Breast, Roasted Organic Apple with Farce of Camargue Rice, Raisins and Duck Confit with Calvados Sauce
Submitted by: Roland Passot
Duck breasts glazed with honey served with raisin-stuffed apples and Calvados sauce.
- 4 Peking ducks
- 1 teaspoon cracked black pepper
- 3 tablespoons honey, divided
- 1 apple, diced
- 1/2 cup California raisins
- Pinch cracked pepper
- 2 tablespoons champagne vinegar
- 1/2 cup Calvados or applejack
- 1 1/2 cups duck stock
- 1/4 cup Calfornia golden and natural raisins, mixed
- 1/2 cup foie gras, medium dice (optional)
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1 cup diced carrots
- 2 cups diced onions
- 2 tablespoons chopped shallots
- 1 cup diced celery
- 2 cups cooked Camargue rice; simmered in 4 cups salted water for 1 hour
- 1/4 cup duck confit, diced
- Salt and pepper
- 1 tablespoon chopped thyme
- 1 tablespoon chopped sage
- 1/2 duck breast, cooked and diced
- 1/4 cup duck sauce
- 4 Pink Lady, Granny Smith or Royal Gala apples
- 2 cups white wine
- 1 cup water
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon coriander seeds, toasted
- 1 cinnamon sticks
- 2 star anise
- Fried sage leaves; for garnish
Bone duck breasts and legs. Reserve legs for confit and cut away excess fat from breasts. Season with cracked pepper. In pan over medium heat, sear duck breasts, skin side down, and cook slowly on stovetop until skin crisps, about 5 to 6 minutes. Glaze meat side with honey and add diced apples. Put in 450°F oven for approximately 6 minutes. Remove from pan and reserve. Pour off excess fat. Add 2 tablespoons honey and 1/2 cup raisins to pan. Let caramelized and add cracked black pepper. Deglaze pan with champagne vinegar and Calvados. Reduce by half and add duck stock. Reduce to sauce consistency and strain. Season to taste. Set aside.
Poach raisins in 1/2 cup water or Calvados and 2 tablespoons sugar. Bring to boil and remove from heat. Keep in liquid until used for cooking. In a hot pan, sauté foie gras in butter until golden. Add carrots, onions, shallots and celery; sauté. Stir in rice, duck confit and raisins. Season with salt, pepper, thyme and sage. Add diced duck breast and duck sauce. Cook into a farce.
Remove tops from apples and reserve. Slice a thin amount off bottom so apples will sit flat. Core apple with melon baller. Do not puncture bottom of the apple, but remove enough meat so there is room for farce. In a medium pan, add wine, water, sugar and spices. Bring to a boil and add apple tops and bottoms to pan. Cover and let cook until tender for about 10 to 15 minutes. Then, stuff apples with farce. Cover with apple tops. Garnish with fried sage leaves.
Slice duck breasts into thin, even slices. Arrange around the stuffed braised apples, sauce with Calvados sauce.
Nutrition facts not available.
Comment on the Recipe
Comments may be moderated. If you don't see your comment, please be patient. It may be posted soon. Do not post your comment a second time. Thank you.