Sea Scallops, Green Salsa with California Raisins (Salsa de Pasitas Verdes) and Pears
Submitted by: Robert Del Grande
Green salsa with California Raisins and grilled sea scallops are cooled with slices of sweet pear.
- Serving Size: 1 scallop
Salsa de Pasitas Verdes
- 1 ounce shelled pumpkin seeds
- 1 ounce (about 3 tablespoons) blanched whole almonds
- 1 cup California golden raisins
- 3 garlic cloves (3/4 ounce)
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- Zest of 1/4 lemon
- 1 serrano chile, charred and peeled
- 1 poblano chile; charred, peeled and seeded
- 2 white anchovies (reduce to 1/2 fillet if oil cured)
- 1/2 cup fish or chicken broth
- 3/4 ounce Italian parsley
- 1 tablespoon fresh tarragon leaves
- 1/2 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 crisp ripe Bosc pears
- 2 tablespoons almond or walnut oil
- 8 large sea scallops, dry packed (about 3/4 pound)
- 1 bunch watercress; for garnish
- 1 lime, cut in thin wedges; for garnish
- Salt and pepper; for garnish
Salsa de Pasitas Verdes
Combine pumpkin seeds, almonds, raisins, garlic, olive oil and lemon peel in saucepan. Heat oil to about 250°F and fry lightly until garlic cloves are lightly brown and softened and raisins begin to puff. Add chiles and anchovies. Remove from heat and cool to room temperature. Turn all into bowl of food processor and process until smooth; let stand. Add fish broth, parsley and tarragon; and process until smooth. Add lemon juice and salt. Blend, again, and adjust seasonings. Store in refrigerator.
Slice pears vertically into 1/4-inch slices; discard cores. Toss lightly with nut oil; sprinkle with salt and pepper. Set aside.
Clean scallops and sear in hot skillet or on grill until cooked through.
Divide and arrange pear slices on 8 individaul dinner plates; divide and arrange scallops on top. Spoon a little Salsa de Pasitas onto each scallop and arrange watercress sprigs on top. Sprinkle with salt and pepper; drizzle with almond oil and place lime wedge along side.
Nutrition Facts Per Serving
Calories 310 (61% from fat); Total Fat 22g (sat 3g, mono 15g, poly 3g, trans 0g ); Cholesterol 10mg; Protein 7g; Carbohydrate 25g; (Dietary Fiber 2g; Sugars 17g; ); Iron 2mg; Sodium 420mg; Calcium 49mg; Potassium 340mg
This recipe is found in the following categories:
Comment on the Recipe
Comments may be moderated. If you don't see your comment, please be patient. It may be posted soon. Do not post your comment a second time. Thank you.