For stuffing, trim all fat and remove skin from 2 ounces of chicken breast meat; cut into small pieces. Season with salt and pepper. Put in food processor and blend with egg, cream and wine until smooth. Turn into mixing bowl and fold in remaining ingredients. Cover and chill for 15 minutes.
With paring knife, cut a small pocket about 3 inches deep under the wing bone of each breast. Insert finger and even out pocket on both sides. Fill pastry bag with stuffing and pipe into pocket until full. Insert 2 sage leaves under skin of each breast. Over high heat, sear chicken breasts on both sides. Season with salt and pepper. Refrigerate until ready to serve.
For coulis, combine apples, sage, cinnamon sticks, lemon juice and water to cover. Bring to boil; remove from heat and steep until apples are tender. Drain and remove cinnamon sticks and sage. Purée in blender until smooth. Return to pot; add demi-glace and cook for 5 minutes. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Keep warm.
For poblanos, heat oil to 350°F in heavy saucepot. Wash peppers and dry thoroughly. Deep fry in hot oil for 1 to 2 minutes; remove to self-closing plastic bag and add the 2 teaspoons salt. Close bag; shake to coat well and set aside for 20 to 30 minutes. Remove peppers from bag and wash under running water to remove skin. Cut in half and remove seeds and any membranes. Then cut into 1/2-inch strips and sauté with onion until tender. Season with salt and pepper. Serve hot.
When ready to serve, roast chicken in 350°F oven until done (170°F). Over high heat, sauté malanga, peppers and zucchini until tender. Grill baby corn and heat poblanos just until heated through. To serve, divide and arrange vegetables in center of 8 serving plates. Slice and shingle one breast on top of each; add poblanos. Stand baby corn over poblanos and arrange red chile next to it. Divide and ladle coulis along side chicken. Serve immediately.
Note: An airline breast is a boneless chicken breast with the first wing bone attached. If not available, substitute boneless breast with skin still on.
Wild Mushroom and Raisin Stuffing
- 2 Ounces chicken breast meat
- Kosher salt and black pepper
- 1 egg
- 1 fluid ounce (2 tablespoons) heavy cream
- 1 fluid ounce (2 tablespoons) port wine
- 2 Cups California golden raisins
- 1 Ounce (1/2 cup) shiitake mushrooms, 1/4-inch dice
- 1 Ounce (1/2 cup) crimini mushrooms, 1/4-inch dice
- 1 Ounce (1/2 cup) oyster mushrooms, 1/4-inch dice
- 2 Ounces shredded Manchego cheese (about 1/2 cup)
- 1 Teaspoon orange zest
- 1 Teaspoon lemon zest
- 1 Ounce (1/3 cup) panko bread crumbs
- 8 airline chicken breasts* (about 6 ounces each)
- 16 fresh sage leaves
- Kosher salt and black pepper; to taste
- 5 Granny Smith apples, peeled and cored
- 2 fresh sage sprigs
- 3 cinnamon sticks
- 1 Tablespoon lemon juice
- 2 Cups demi-glace
- Kosher salt and white pepper; to taste
- 2 poblano peppers
- 1 Quart vegetable oil; for frying
- 1/2 yellow onion, cut in matchstick-size strips (julienne)
- Kosher salt and ground white pepper; to taste
- 8 malanga roots, cut into long narrow strips (batons)
- 4 Ounces fresh red pepper, cut into matchstick-size pieces
- 4 Ounces zucchini, cut into matchstick-size pieces
- 4 ears baby corn in husk, cut in half
- 4 roasted red chili peppers