- Pre-heat oven to 425 degrees. Cut carrots in halves or quarters, as desired. Toss with olive oil, honey, salt, garlic, orange juice, zest, thyme, parsley and pepper, and then arrange on a baking sheet. Bake until carrots are caramelized and tender, 25-30 minutes, tossing occasionally. Remove carrots from oven and set to side.
- Wisk salad dressing ingredients together and check seasonings; cover and chill before serving. (Or serve dressing at room temperature.)
- In a medium pan, cook the bacon until crispy. (A tablespoon or two of brown sugar or maple syrup may be sprinkled or spread over the bacon when cooking). Drain bacon, crumble, and set aside.
- Toss salad ingredients in a bowl or arrange on four serving plates. Top each salad serving with roasted carrots and crumbled bacon, drizzle with the dressing, and garnish with raisins, dried dates, dried apricots, and nuts, and choice of cheese.
- Serve extra dressing on the side with toasted pita bread, oven baked pita chips, ciabatta, or Italian bread.
- 8 large carrots, washed and peeled
- 4 cups loosely packed baby arugula (enough for 4 people)
- 8 slices turkey bacon or any thick sliced bacon, cooked, drained, crumbled into pieces
- 1 red apple, cored and diced
- 1 green apple, cored and diced
- 1/2 cup sliced sweet red onions
- 1/2 cup chopped flat-leaf parsley and chives
- 1/2 cup slivered almonds or toasted pecans (garnish)
- 1/2 cup chopped golden raisins, dried dates, or dried apricots (garnish)
Marinade for Orange Carrots
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon Turkish honey
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped or minced
- Juice of 1/2 orange
- 1 tablespoon orange zest
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh (or dried) thyme,
- 1/2 teaspoon parsley
- 1/2 coarse black pepper
Olive Oil and Lemon Dressing
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- Juice of 2 lemons
- 1/4 cup finely chopped shallots
- 2 tablespoons each finely chopped chives
- 2 tablespoons each finely chopped parsley
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika or za’atar
- 1/4 teaspoon sugar
- Sea salt or kosher salt and coarse black pepper to taste
Nutrition Facts Per Serving(Calories from Fat %); ( );
Try Another Recipe
Diabetes-Friendly Curried Popcorn Mix
There are many more ways to use raisins for healthy cooking. Take a look at our recipe page for more delicious dishes.View All Recipes
Raisins contain 9% of the daily value for potassium.