Red Onion Jam
- 6 Tablespoons (3 ounces) olive oil
- 2 Pounds red onions, cut in matchstick-size pieces (julienne)
- 1/2 Cup (4 ounces) raspberry vinegar
- 1 Cup water
- 1/2 Cup grenadine
- 3 Cups California golden raisins
- Zest of 2 lemons
- 2 Tablespoons fresh thyme leaves
- Freshly ground black pepper; to taste
- 24 squares (2 1/2-inch) focaccia bread
- Virgin olive oil, as needed
- 23/4 Pounds beef tenderloin, roasted medium rare and sliced 1/4-inch thick
- 1 Pound Gorgonzola cheese, crumbled
For jam, heat oil in a large sautépan and slowly sauté onions until soft. Add vinegar, water and grenadine. Cook 15 minutes until thickened. Then, add raisins and remaining ingredients. Reduce heat and simmer for 5 minutes more. Cool. Serve at room temperature.
Slice focaccia squares in half horizontally to make 2 flat slices; drizzle cut sides with olive oil and toast lightly. Top bottom half of each of the 24 squares with 1 ounce of roast beef, a bit of Gorgonzola and 1 tablespoon of the jam. Arrange top half on each and secure with toothpicks.