Rice Bowl with California Raisins and Walnuts
- Serving Size: (1 grains/breads + 1 meat)
- 4 quarts water
- 1 1/2 quarts uncooked brown rice
- 1 quart cubed carrots
- 1 pint frozen peas, thawed
- 1 1/2 quarts California raisins
- 3 tablespoons ground oregano
- Pepper, to taste
- 3/4 cup walnuts
- 4 pounds 11 ounces chicken, cut into strips or chunks
- 1 pint chopped onion
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1 pint chopped green pepper
1. Bring water to boil. Add rice and carrots. Reduce heat and simmer until water is absorbed.
2. Add peas, raisins, oregano and salt just before rice is done. Season with pepper to taste. Stir in walnuts.
3. Cook chicken and onion in hot oil until chicken is no longer transparent. Stir in green pepper; cook 2 minutes more.
4. Add rice mixture and heat through. Serve hot.Special Tips: Season with basil and garlic powder for an Italian flavor or soy sauce and ginger for an Oriental twist.
Nutrition Facts Per Serving
Calories 450 (20% from fat); Total Fat 10g (sat 2g, mono 3g, poly 4g, trans 0g ); Cholesterol 55mg; Protein 24g; Carbohydrate 68g; (Dietary Fiber 6g; Sugars 58g; ); Iron 3mg; Sodium 85mg; Calcium 69mg; Potassium 682mg
Comment on the Recipe
Comments may be moderated. If you don't see your comment, please be patient. It may be posted soon. Do not post your comment a second time. Thank you.