- 4 Quarts water
- 11/2 Quarts uncooked brown rice
- 1 Quart cubed carrots
- 1 Pint frozen peas, thawed
- 11/2 Quarts California raisins
- 3 Tablespoons ground oregano
- Pepper, to taste
- 3/4 Cup walnuts
- 4 Pounds 11 ounces chicken, cut into strips or chunks
- 1 Pint chopped onion
- 1/4 Cup vegetable oil
- 1 Pint chopped green pepper
1. Bring water to boil. Add rice and carrots. Reduce heat and simmer until water is absorbed.
2. Add peas, raisins, oregano and salt just before rice is done. Season with pepper to taste. Stir in walnuts.
3. Cook chicken and onion in hot oil until chicken is no longer transparent. Stir in green pepper; cook 2 minutes more.
4. Add rice mixture and heat through. Serve hot.Special Tips: Season with basil and garlic powder for an Italian flavor or soy sauce and ginger for an Oriental twist.