- 1 pound all-purpose flour
- 1 pound whole wheat flour
- 1 1/3 tablespoons salt
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 2 1/3 tablespoons honey
- 1/3 cup butter
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 3/4 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1 3/4 cups California raisins, plumped
- 2 cups buttermilk
- Fresh apple, thinly sliced
Preheat oven to 375°F. Lightly oil baking sheet; set aside.
Sift flours, salt, sugar, baking powder and cinnamon together. Rub in butter to sandy texture. Add honey, applesauce and buttermilk. Mix to soft dough. Divide into 2 rounds. Flatten and arrange on a baking sheet. Then, arrange sliced apple in circle along edges. Cut a cross in middle of each round. Dust with whole wheat flour. Bake for 35 to 45 minutes at 375ºF. Remove from pan and turn onto wire rack to cool.