Prawn Rendang with Cucumber-Golden Raisin Raita
An Indonesian treat — prawns served with an aromatic sauce and cool raita.
- 2 fluid ounce vegetable oil
- 10 shallots, peeled and sliced
- 10 garlic cloves, peeled and sliced
- 2 stalks lemongrass, thinly sliced
- 5 Thai chiles
- 10 Kaffir lime leaves, center stem removed and cut in matchstick-size pieces
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 2 tablespoons fish sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 2 teaspoons sambal oelek*
- 2 cans (13 ounces each) coconut milk
- 18 prawns (10/12 count), peeled and deveined with heads intact
- 2 cups plain yogurt
- 1/2 cucumber; peeled, seeded and minced
- 1 cup California golden raisins, chopped
- 5 mint leaves, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- Juice of 1/4 lemon (about 1 tablespoon)
- California raisin juice concentrate*; for garnish
- Micro cilantro; for garnish
Preheat wok to very hot; add oil and stir-fry aromatics for 10 minutes. (Do not brown.) Stir in fish sauce, pepper, sugar, sambal and coconut milk. Bring to boil and reduce heat; simmer for 15 minutes. Purée with a stick hand blender; cool completely. Store in refrigerator overnight to meld flavors.
Stir yogurt, cucumber, raisins, mint, salt and lemon juice together in a bowl. Chill.
Reheat aromatic sauce slowly over low heat to simmer; add prawns and let simmer for 10 minutes until heated through and done. Arrange 3 prawns on each individual serving plate. Spoon Cucumber-Raisin Raita in middle and add drops of raisin juice concentrate onto each prawn. Garnish with micro cilantro.
1. Sambal oelek is an Indonesian flavoring paste made from chiles, salt, oil and vinegar. It is available at most Asian Markets.
2. California raisin juice concentrate is available from foodservice and industrial suppliers.
Nutrition Facts Per Serving
Calories 540 (48% from fat); Total Fat 30g (sat 25g, mono 2g, poly 0.5g, trans 0g ); Cholesterol 10mg; Protein 31g; Carbohydrate 42g; (Dietary Fiber 4g; Sugars 29g; ); Iron 8mg; Sodium 680mg; Calcium 255mg; Potassium 883mg
Comment on the Recipe
Comments may be moderated. If you don't see your comment, please be patient. It may be posted soon. Do not post your comment a second time. Thank you.