For chicken, in a large straight-sided pan, bring raisins, chicken stock and star anise to simmer. Season chicken breasts with salt and pepper and arrange in single layer in pan. Simmer and cook for about 4 minutes, turning once. Remove chicken breasts to plate and cover tightly with plastic wrap; cool. Reserve poaching liquid and raisins.
For Raisin Vinaigrette, reduce reserved poaching liquid by half. Remove star anise and turn liquid and raisins into blender with 1 tablespoon sherry vinegar. Blend until smooth; strain through fine-mesh strainer. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Chill.
To Serve, in medium bowl, toss grated carrots with extra virgin olive oil and remaining sherry vinegar; add pine nuts and parsley. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Spoon 2 tablespoons Raisin Vinaigrette in center of each of 4 well-chilled plates. Slice each chicken breast into 5 equal strips. Fan slices over the vinaigrette. Divide and spoon shredded carrot mixture on top. Serve cold.
- 1/2 Cup California raisins
- 1 Cup chicken stock
- 1 star anise, whole
- 4 boneless chicken breasts (3 to 4 ounces each)
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
- 2 Tablespoons sherry wine vinegar, divided
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 4 medium carrots, grated (about 2 cups)
- 2 Tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1/4 Cup toasted pine nuts
- 1 Tablespoon chopped fresh Italian parsley
- Kosher salt and fresh ground pepper, to taste