Picnic Rice Salad
An easy salad to make ahead -- the flavor improves with time.
- 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
- 3/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2 teaspoons lemon zest
- Kosher or sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 cup long grain white rice
- 3 cups chicken or vegetable stock
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
- 1 cup California raisins
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh Italian parsley
- 1/2 cup chopped scallions
- 1/2 cup chopped celery
- 1/2 cup chopped carrots
- 1/2 cup chopped green or red bell pepper
- Lettuce leaves to line plates (optional)
- 1 bunch watercress (optional)
In small bowl, whisk lemon juice, oil and lemon zest together. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Set aside.
In fine mesh strainer, rinse the rice under cold running water until water runs clear. Turn into heavy saucepan; add chicken stock and bring to boil. Boil for 2 to 3 minutes; then reduce heat to low. Cover pan and cook about 15 minutes or until all stock is absorbed and rice is tender. Fluff with fork and cool.
In large bowl, combine rice with remaining salad ingredients. Add lemon dressing and mix well. Adjust seasonings. Line serving bowl or platter with lettuce leaves. Mound salad on top and garnish with watercress sprigs.
Nutrition Facts Per Serving
Calories 410 (65% from fat); Total Fat 31g (sat 4g, mono 18g, poly 8g, trans 0g ); Cholesterol 0mg; Protein 4g; Carbohydrate 32g; (Dietary Fiber 3g; Sugars 16g; ); Iron 2mg; Sodium 270mg; Calcium 40mg; Potassium 338mg
Comment on the Recipe
Comments may be moderated. If you don't see your comment, please be patient. It may be posted soon. Do not post your comment a second time. Thank you.