Picadillo Pork Chili
Make a big pot of this chili with picadillo tendencies. It won't last long!
- Serving Size: about 1 cup chili
- Vegetable oil; as needed
- 3 pounds pork butt, finely chopped or ground coarsely
- 8 ounce smoked bacon, finely chopped
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 cup chili powder
- 2 teaspoons ground cloves
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh garlic
- 2 cups water
- 1/2 cup apple cider vinegar
- 4 large jalapeño chiles, seeded and minced
- 6 cups canned diced plum tomatoes in juice
- 3/4 cup California raisin paste*
- 1/2 cup masa harina
- 1 cup California natural raisins
- 1 cup California golden raisins
Heat oil over high heat in a 12-quart, heavy-bottomed pot. Add pork and cook, stirring occasionally until browned, about 10 minutes. Add bacon, and continue cooking for 5 minutes more, stirring occasionally. Reduce heat to medium, stir in onion, cumin, cinnamon, chili powder, cloves, garlic and salt and pepper to taste. Cook, stirring for 1 minute, then add water, vinegar, jalapenos, tomatoes, raisin paste and masa. Stir until raisin paste is completely dissolved; then stir in 2 cups raisins. Reduce heat and simmer, uncovered, for 30 minutes. Skim fat, and thin sauce with chicken stock, as needed.
To serve, reheat and ladle into heated bowls.
1. Pass sour cream, avocado slices, finely chopped red onions and crisp-fried corn tortilla strips for toppings.
2. For a heartier meal, combine 4 cups cooked long grain white rice with the cooked picadillo and roll up in 16 to 20 warm flour tortillas with toppings on the side.
3. Commercially prepared California raisin paste is available from foodservice and industrial suppliers. To make your own raisin paste, grind or process in a food processor whole California raisins equal to twice the amount of raisin paste required (1-1/2 cups of California natural raisins) until very finely chopped and smooth.
Nutrition Facts Per Serving
Calories 410 (49% from fat); Total Fat 23g (sat 8g, mono 10g, poly 2g, trans 0g ); Cholesterol 60mg; Protein 18g; Carbohydrate 36g; (Dietary Fiber 4g; Sugars 26g; ); Iron 4mg; Sodium 1320mg; Calcium 72mg; Potassium 576mg
Comment on the Recipe
Comments may be moderated. If you don't see your comment, please be patient. It may be posted soon. Do not post your comment a second time. Thank you.