Pan-seared Foie Gras, Pecan Bread Pudding, Warm Fruit Salad and Red Plum Coulis
Submitted by: Paul Wade
Raisins and fruits poached in red plum coulis accompany foie gras on tosted pecan-banana bread.
Red Plum Coulis
- 1/2 cup plum wine
- 1/2 cup champagne vinegar
- 1/2 ounce ginger spears
- 1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/2 vanilla beans
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon lavender
- 1/2 cup mirin
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 pound red plums (about 3-4 plums)
- 8 red plums, scored and pitted
- 8 apricots, pitted
- 2 baby pineapple; peeled, cored and quartered lengthwise
- 16 Bing cherries, pitted
- 1 cup extra-large California golden raisins, poached in white wine until plump
- Red Plum Coulis to poach fruit
Citrus Custard for Bread Pudding
- 1 cup cream
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly grated lime zest
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly grated orange zest
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly grated lemon zest
- 2 tablespoons Grand Marnier
- 2 egg yolks
- 1 vanilla bean, split and scraped
- 1/2 pound mint leaves
- 1 cup grape seed oil
Pecan-Banana Bread Pudding
- 4 slice pecan-banana bread, punched out into 8 small rounds
- Butter to sauté
- 1 1/2 pounds deveined Grade A Foie Gras, cut into eight 3-ounce slices and chilled
Red Plum Coulis
Combine all of ingredients in a large, nonreactive saucepan. Simmer liquid slowly over low heat until reduced by half. Remove ginger and purée in a blender until smooth. Pass through a fine-mesh strainer into a clean container. Reserve amount for poaching fruit salad and amount for garnishing. Keep refrigerated until ready to use.
Place all fruits except raisins in a large, non-reactive saucepan. Add reserved plum coulis and bring mixture to a simmer; poach just until fruits are tender.
Combine all the ingredients in a medium bowl. Set aside in refrigerator until ready to complete the dish.
In a large saucepan, heat grape seed oil over medium heat to 130°F; add mint leaves. Remove from heat and quickly pour oil into a blender; blend until color is bright green. Strain through a fine-mesh strainer. Store in refrigerator until ready to use.
In a large sautépan, heat butter. Then, dredge banana bread in custard mixture and add to pan; sauté until lightly golden. Have warm serving plates ready and place pecan-banana bread French toast in center and fruit salad off to the side.
Heat a large sautépan over medium-high heat; quickly sear foie gras until mahogany in color. Remove from pan and place on top of French toast. Drizzle with reserved plum coulis. Garnish with mint oil.
Chef’s Note: Depending on the season, it may be necessary to substitute more widely available fruits, such as melon or pears.
Nutrition Facts Per Serving
Calories 1160 (58% from fat); Total Fat 76g (sat 20g, mono 30g, poly 21g, trans 0g ); Cholesterol 215mg; Protein 16g; Carbohydrate 5g; (Dietary Fiber 5g; Sugars 79g; ); Iron 8mg; Sodium 710mg; Calcium 202mg; Potassium 877mg
Comment on the Recipe
Comments may be moderated. If you don't see your comment, please be patient. It may be posted soon. Do not post your comment a second time. Thank you.