Moroccan Vegetable Ragout with California Raisins
By John Csukor
A mélange of vegetables and spices to serve alone or with meats.
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 2/3 cup pearl onions, peeled and halved
- 1/3 cup carrot, cut into 1/8-inch thick slices
- 2 1/2 tablespoons fennel, cut into 1/8-inch thick slices
- 1 1/2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cinnamon stick (about 1 inch)
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/8 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 pinch saffron threads, crushed
- 2/3 cup boiling-type potatoes (e.g. red or Yukon gold), peeled and cut into 3/4-inch dice
- 1/3 cup vegetable broth
- 3/4 cup California raisins
- 1 cup (8 ounces) cooked or canned garbanzo beans, drained
- 1/2 cup summer squash, halved lengthwise, and cut crosswise into 1/2-inch thick slices
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh majoram
- 2 1/2 tablespoons chopped fresh tomatoes (about 1/2 small tomato), seeded and cut into 1/2-inch dice
- 2 teaspoons sliced almonds, toasted (optional)
Heat the oil in a large, heavy stockpot over medium-low heat. Coat onions, carrot and fennel with flour and sauté until golden brown. Add cinnamon stick, cumin, ginger, saffron, potatoes, vegetable broth and raisins; cook about 10 minutes. Stir in garbanzo beans, squash, marjoram and tomatoes; cover and simmer until squash is tender, about 8 minutes longer.
To serve, remove cinnamon stick. Transfer ragout to a serving dish and sprinkle with toasted almonds, if desired. Serve with grilled pita or other flatbread.
Nutrition Facts Per Serving
Calories 170 (13% from fat); Total Fat 2.5g (sat 0g, mono 1g, poly 0g, trans 0g ); Cholesterol 0mg; Protein 4g; Carbohydrate 34g; (Dietary Fiber 4g; Sugars 18g; ); Iron 2mg; Sodium 190mg; Calcium 37mg; Potassium 380mg
Comment on the Recipe
Comments may be moderated. If you don't see your comment, please be patient. It may be posted soon. Do not post your comment a second time. Thank you.