Moroccan Tomato, Apricot and Raisin Salsa
Serve as a dip for pita bread or over grilled fish and chicken.
- 1 cup dried apricots, diced 1/2-inch
- 2 cups California raisins
- 1 pound Roma tomatoes; peeled, seeded and diced 1/4-inch
- 2 tablespoons fresh gingerroot, chopped fine
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil, divided
- 1 onion, diced 1/4-inch
- 1/8 teaspoon saffron, crumbled
- 1 teaspoon toasted cumin seed
- 2 serrano chiles, seeded and minced
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh mint
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
- Juice of 2 fresh lemons
- 2 tablespoons honey
- Sea salt and fresh ground black pepper, to taste
Put apricots and raisins in a bowl and add 1 cup warm water; set aside for 20 minutes to soften. Drain and combine with tomatoes in large bowl; reserve.
Heat a 12-inch sautépan over medium heat. Add 2 tablespoons (1 ounce) of olive oil and sauté ginger and onions with saffron for 10 minutes. Remove from pan and cool. Add, along with remaining ingredients, to bowl containing tomato mixture. Fold together gently but thoroughly.
Nutrition Facts Per Serving
Calories 140 (24% from fat); Total Fat 4g (sat 0.5g, mono 3g, poly 0g, trans 0g ); Cholesterol 0mg; Protein 1g; Carbohydrate 26g; (Dietary Fiber 2g; Sugars 22g; ); Iron 1mg; Sodium 10mg; Calcium 20mg; Potassium 377mg
Comment on the Recipe
Comments may be moderated. If you don't see your comment, please be patient. It may be posted soon. Do not post your comment a second time. Thank you.