- 1 Cup dried apricots, diced 1/2-inch
- 2 Cups California raisins
- 1 Pound Roma tomatoes; peeled, seeded and diced 1/4-inch
- 2 Tablespoons fresh gingerroot, chopped fine
- 1/4 Cup extra virgin olive oil, divided
- 1 onion, diced 1/4-inch
- 1/8 teaspoon saffron, crumbled
- 1 Teaspoon toasted cumin seed
- 2 serrano chiles, seeded and minced
- 1/4 Cup chopped fresh mint
- 2 Tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
- Juice of 2 fresh lemons
- 2 Tablespoons honey
- Sea salt and fresh ground black pepper, to taste
Put apricots and raisins in a bowl and add 1 cup warm water; set aside for 20 minutes to soften. Drain and combine with tomatoes in large bowl; reserve.
Heat a 12-inch sautépan over medium heat. Add 2 tablespoons (1 ounce) of olive oil and sauté ginger and onions with saffron for 10 minutes. Remove from pan and cool. Add, along with remaining ingredients, to bowl containing tomato mixture. Fold together gently but thoroughly.