- 12 hours before final mixing, mix the sponge ingredients until a cohesive dough is formed. Move to a covered container and let rise for 12 hours at 75˚F.
- Also 12 hours in advance, macerate raisins in water** just to cover. Drain well prior to mixing (ideal macerated weight is reflected in the formula).
- Place flour, water, milk, eggs, sugar, applesauce, salt, yeast, malt, and deactive yeast in the bowl of a planetary mixer fitted with a dough hook. mix 3 minutes on low.
- Break biga into small pieces and mix on 2nd speed for 3 minutes.
- Flake in butter and mix on medium speed until fully absorbed, 2 minutes.
- Let dough ferment at room temperature for 1 hour in a covered container.
- Divide into 1600g pieces, flatten to expel excess gas, and shape into rectangles.
- Place dough on a floured board, cover and freeze for one hour.
- Measure 400g butter for roll-in, pound into a block that covers the width and half the length of the dough.
- Place butter block in center of dough, and fold both sides of dough to meet in the center.
- Roll out on a sheeter and give 2 single folds, aligning all edges and corners.
- Refrigerate for 30 minutes, roll out one final single fold on the sheeter.
- Return dough to dusted board, cover and refrigerate for a minimum of 1 hour.
- Sheet each 2kg of dough until it is 12 inches wide and 44 inches long.
- Egg wash and dust heavily with cinnamon sugar mixture (430g), leaving an undusted strip on the near edge.
- Sprinkle raisins evenly over cinnamon/sugar* mixture, 600g per 2kg of dough.
- Starting from the far left corner, roll into a tight log, using the egg washed edge to seal the seam.
- Beginning at one end, mark dough in 2 ½” increments.
- Cut into rolls with a chef’s knife and press flat into a well-oiled muffin pan.
- Proof in an enclosed, slightly humid, 75-78˚F environment until they become rounded and soft, about 1 to 1½ hours.
- Bake in a 375˚F convection oven until bottoms are golden, 12-15 minutes.
- Remove from oven and immediately roll in cinnamon and sugar.
* To add character, consider accenting with a dash of orange blossom water or brandy. Or add clove, cardamom and nutmeg to the cinnamon sugar mixture.
Nutrition Facts Per Serving(Calories from Fat %); ( );
Try Another Recipe
Gluten-Free Pocket Tart
There are many more ways to use raisins for healthy cooking. Take a look at our recipe page for more delicious dishes.View All Recipes
Did you know raisins are a source of concentrated nutrients?