Malaysian Pickles (Archar)
Submitted by: Alex Ong
A tangy Malaysian salsa to spice up Lamb Korma or other tasty meats.
- Serving Size: 1/4 cup
- 1/2 fresh, ripe pineapple, peeled and diced fine
- 1 cup peeled and finely diced cucumber
- 1 cup peeled and finely diced jícama
- 1 cup finely diced green cabbage
- 1 1/2 cups California raisins, soaked in warm water and drained
- 2 red chile peppers, sliced
- 2 slices shallot
- 1 tablespoon minced gingerroot
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt
- 1 cup unseasoned rice vinegar
- 10 mint leaves, thinly sliced crosswise
- 1 cup roasted peanuts, chopped
Combine pineapple, cucumber, jícama, cabbage, raisins, peppers, shallot slices, gingerroot and garlic in large mixing bowl; set aside. In small bowl, mix turmeric, sugar and salt with vinegar until dissolved. Pour over relish; mix well and let stand at least 30 minutes in refrigerator. Just before serving, add mint leaves and peanuts; toss to mix well. Serve with Lamb Korma or on fried fish crackers (keropok) as an hors d’oeuvre.
Nutrition Facts Per Serving
Calories 90 (27% from fat); Total Fat 2.5g (sat 0g, mono 1g, poly 1g, trans 0g ); Cholesterol 0mg; Protein 2g; Carbohydrate 15g; (Dietary Fiber 1g; Sugars 13g; ); Iron <1mg; Sodium 200mg; Calcium 9mg; Potassium 132mg
Comment on the Recipe
Comments may be moderated. If you don't see your comment, please be patient. It may be posted soon. Do not post your comment a second time. Thank you.