- 12 lamb chops (about 4 ounces each), frenched
- Salt and pepper; to taste
- 4 Teaspoons olive oil
- 1 clove garlic, chopped
- 1 Spanish onion, chopped
- 2 fresh tomatoes, peeled and chopped
- 6 piquillo peppers or 3 pimientos, chopped
- 3/4 Cup California raisins
- 1/2 Cup Cabernet-style red wine
- 1 Tablespoon chopped fresh cilantro
- Espelette pepper powder*; to taste
Season lamb chops with salt and pepper. In large sautépan, over high heat, heat olive oil. Sear chops quickly on both sides; finish in oven at 375°F for 6 to 10 minutes. To same pan, add garlic and onion; cook and stir until golden. Add tomatoes and cook over moderate heat until tender. Then, stir in peppers, raisins, wine, cilantro and pepper powder; cook 5 minutes. Adjust seasonings.
Divide and spoon sauce onto 6 plates. Arrange 2 chops on each.
Note: Ancho chile powder may be substituted for espelette pepper powder.