Lamb and Red Lentil Stew with Ginger Golden Raisins and Mint
Golden raisins, wheat berry and red lentils make a tasty lamb stew.
- 5 pounds wheat berry
- 8 fluid ounce (1 cup) olive oil, divided
- 5 pounds red onions, julienne
- 5 pounds red lentils
- 2 gallons water
- 12 pounds lamb stew meat, well trimmed and cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 1 1/2 cups chopped garlic
- 1 cup minced fresh gingerroot
- 4 bay leaves
- 1 cup ground cumin
- 1/4 cup garam masala
- 1 gallon Culinarte (brand) lamb demi-glacé
- 5 pounds California golden raisins
- Ground red pepper and salt; to taste
- 3 bunches cilantro, chopped
- Fresh mint leaves, chopped
- 8 ounce fresh serrano chiles, seeded and minced
- Naan, grilled
- Smoked sea salt
Soak wheat berry overnight in water to cover by 1 inch. Heat half of olive oil in large rondeau. Add onions; cook until well caramelized. Stir in lentils. Heat salted water to boiling in a heavy pot; drain and add wheat berry. Retun to boil and simmer until just tender, about 45 minutes. Stir in lentils and cook about 14 minutes until lentils are tender. Drain, if needed; set aside.
Heat remaining oil in large heavy rondeau; add lamb and brown on all sides. Stir in garlic, gingerroot, bay leaves, cumin and garam masala until thoroughly combined. Cook for 1 minute; add a few cups of water as needed and stir in lamb demi-glacé. Reduce heat and simmer about 15 minutes, until lamb is tender, adding more liquid, if needed. Add onions, lentils, wheat berry and raisins. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
Ladle into tureen and top with cilantro, mint and serranos. Serve spoonfuls on grilled naan with smoked sea salt to sprinkle on top.
Nutrition Facts Per Serving
Calories 730 (17% from fat); Total Fat 14g (sat 4g, mono 7g, poly 2g, trans 0g ); Cholesterol 100mg; Protein 52g; Carbohydrate 103g; (Dietary Fiber 16g; Sugars 35g; ); Iron 9mg; Sodium 380mg; Calcium 128mg; Potassium 1351mg
Comment on the Recipe
Comments may be moderated. If you don't see your comment, please be patient. It may be posted soon. Do not post your comment a second time. Thank you.