Italian Meatballs with California Raisins
Combination of meats with California raisins, red wine and seasonings make great meatballs.
- Serving Size: 3 meatballs and 1/3 cup sauce
- 1/2 cup California raisins
- 1/2 cup sweet red wine, e.g., Marsala or grape juice
- 1/2 pound extra lean ground beef
- 1/2 pound ground pork
- 1/2 pound ground veal
- 1 cup plain bread crumbs
- 1 1/2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh basil
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh mint
- 1/2 tablespoon salt
- 1/2 tablespoon black pepper
- 2 large cloves fresh garlic, minced
- 1/2 large sweet onion, chopped fine
- 1 large eggs
- Olive oil; for frying
- 1 jar (25 ounces) prepared or homemade tomato sauce
Measure raisins into small bowl, pour 1 cup wine over. Set aside and let soak for 1 hour.
Combine beef, pork and veal in a large bowl and mix well. Add bread crumbs, basil, mint, salt and pepper. Stir in garlic, onion and egg. Then, add raisins and mix well. Divide and shape into 24 meatballs.
Heat olive oil in ovenproof skillet; brown meatballs on all sides. Add tomato sauce; heat to boiling and simmer 2 to 3 hours or bake. Serve piping hot over hot pasta.
Notes: May also be shaped into loaf with sauce spooned on top and baked, covered, at 325°F for 1-1/2 hours till temperature at center reaches 160°F.
Nutrition Facts Per Serving
Calories 310 (35% from fat); Total Fat 12g (sat 4.5g, mono 5g, poly 1g, trans 0g ); Cholesterol 80mg; Protein 21g; Carbohydrate 26g; (Dietary Fiber 3g; Sugars 9g; ); Iron 3mg; Sodium 630mg; Calcium 55mg; Potassium 712mg
Comment on the Recipe
Comments may be moderated. If you don't see your comment, please be patient. It may be posted soon. Do not post your comment a second time. Thank you.