Italian Chopped Salad
For a hearty meal with flavor to spare, here is an easy-to-prepare main course salad.
- 1 medium shallot, minced
- 1/4 cup wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon fresh oregano leaves, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
- 2 heads romaine lettuce, washed and dried, outer leaves removed, cut into 1/2-inch ribbons
- 1/2 cup California golden raisins, plumped in warm water for 1 minute and drained
- 8 ounce Black Forest ham, diced into 1/2-inch cubes
- 4 ounce very thinly sliced prosciutto, diced into 1/2-inch squares
- 8 ounce salami, diced into 1/2-inch cubes
- 8 ounce bocconcini (small, fresh mozzarella balls in brine), halved
- 4 Roma tomatoes, diced
- 1/2 cup pepperoncini, chopped
- 1/2 cup pitted kalamata olives, quartered
- 1 cup canned garbanzo beans, drained and rinsed
- Small piece Parmigiano Reggiano; for garnish
Combine the first 5 dressing ingredients in a small bowl. Slowly whisk in olive oil. Season dressing with salt and pepper, to taste.
In mixing bowl, toss romaine with 1/3 cup dressing. Divide among 4 chilled salad plates. Toss remaining salad ingredients with remaining dressing; divide and spoon equally on top of romaine. With a vegetable peeler, shave Parmigiano Reggiano on top for garnish.
Nutrition Facts Per Serving
Calories 520 (52% from fat); Total Fat 31g (sat 7g, mono 19g, poly 3g, trans 0g ); Cholesterol 60mg; Protein 34g; Carbohydrate 29g; (Dietary Fiber 8g; Sugars 12g; ); Iron 4mg; Sodium 1610mg; Calcium 325mg; Potassium 837mg
Comment on the Recipe
Comments may be moderated. If you don't see your comment, please be patient. It may be posted soon. Do not post your comment a second time. Thank you.