Hearts of Kentucky Lettuce, Gorgonzola and Golden Raisins with White Balsamic Vinaigrette
Submitted by: James Perillo
Simple balsamic vinaigrette emphasizes the goodness of fresh ingredients topped with walnuts and golden raisins.
- 2 shallots, chopped fine
- 1/2 cup white balsamic vinegar
- 1 cup olive oil
- Salt and pepper
- 2 red endive, cored and leaves separated
- 3 small heads Kentucky Limestone lettuce, cut in half
- 1 pound Gorgonzola cheese, wedge cut into 6 pieces (or, blue cheese)
- 6 hearts of palm, cut on bias
- 3 Roma tomatoes, cored and cut in half
- 2 ripe pears, cut in matchstick-size strips (julienne)
- 1 cup California golden raisins
- 1 cup walnuts, roasted and crushed
In a mixing bowl, whisk shallots and vinegar together. Pour in olive oil. Add salt and pepper to taste. (Note: This is not on emulsified vinaigrette. Be sure to shake or stir prior to each application.)
Place red endive leaves in the middle of plate. Arrange lettuce crosswise. Place wedge of Gorgonzola and Roma tomato leaning against lettuce. Shingle hearts of palm in front of lettuce. Place pear matchsticks on top of lettuce. Sprinkle roasted walnuts and golden raisins on top and around plate. Shake dressing and drizzle on and around salad. Season with salt and pepper.
Notes: To simplify this sald, use blue cheese crumbles and omit the hearts of palm, if unavailable.
Nutrition Facts Per Serving
Calories 850 (72% from fat); Total Fat 71g (sat 20g, mono 29g, poly 11g, trans <1g ); Cholesterol 80mg; Protein 24g; Carbohydrate 37g; (Dietary Fiber 8g; Sugars 23g; ); Iron 4mg; Sodium 910mg; Calcium 570mg; Potassium 892mg
Comment on the Recipe
Comments may be moderated. If you don't see your comment, please be patient. It may be posted soon. Do not post your comment a second time. Thank you.