Haricots Verts, Beet and Raisin Salad
Tiny beans and beets to serve as a first course or a colorful and healthy lunch entrée with grilled chicken or fish.
- 1/2 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher or sea salt
- freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon raspberry vinegar
- 1/4 cup walnut oil
- 1/2 pound medium fresh beets
- 6 ounce haricots verts, washed and trimmed
- 2 cups mesclun greens or watercress
- 1/2 small shallot, minced
- 2 1/2 tablespoons toasted hazelnuts, skins removed and roughly chopped
- 3/4 cup California raisins
- Kosher or sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup crumbled goat cheese
Whisk dressing ingredients together in small bowl until well blended. Set aside.
In saucepan, simmer beets in lightly salted water to cover, about 15 minutes or until tender. Drain and let cool; peel and slice into rounds. Set aside.
Overlap beet slices around outside edge of large serving plate or divide among 6 individual serving plates. Drizzle with dressing. Place haricots verts in mixing bowl, and toss with greens, shallot, hazelnuts, raisins and enough dressing to coat well. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Mound mixture in center of plate and sprinkle with crumbled goat cheese.
Chef Note: Small Blue Lake green beans will substitute if haricots verts are available. Serve this salad with grilled chicken or fish for a colorful and healthy lunch entrée.
Nutrition Facts Per Serving
Calories 210 (53% from fat); Total Fat 13g (sat 2g, mono 4g, poly 6g, trans 0g ); Cholesterol 5mg; Protein 4g; Carbohydrate 22g; (Dietary Fiber 3g; Sugars 15g; ); Iron 2mg; Sodium 190mg; Calcium 60mg; Potassium 400mg
Comment on the Recipe
Comments may be moderated. If you don't see your comment, please be patient. It may be posted soon. Do not post your comment a second time. Thank you.