- 1 Cup sugar
- 1/2 Cup water
- 1/4 Cup white distilled vinegar
- 11/2 Teaspoons ground red pepper
- 1/4 Teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1/4 Teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 piece (2-inch) cinnamon stick
- 11/2 Cups California golden raisins
- 12 or 14 black peppercorns
- 1 piece (1-inch) julienne fresh gingerroot
- 6 boneless, skinless tuna fillets (6 ounces each)
In 1-quart nonreactive saucepan, bring sugar, water and vinegar to boil over medium-high heat. Add red pepper, turmeric, cloves, cinnamon stick, peppercorns and ginger. Reduce heat to low. Cover and cook 5 minutes to blend flavors. Add raisins and continue cooking on low 8 to 10 minutes or until most of the liquid evaporates. Remove from heat and set aside.
Preheat grill or broiler. Grill or broil tuna fillets for 3 to 4 minutes on each side (145°F). Transfer tuna to serving platter; spoon about 1/4 cup chutney over each fillet. Serve immediately.