Golden Nugget Phad Thai
California golden raisins make a hot curry sauce to spoon over noodles and stir-fry.
- 2 cans (14 ounces each) unsweetened Thai coconut milk*
- 2 tablespoons Thai red curry paste
- 3 tablespoons Thai fish sauce (nuoc nam)*
- 1 heaping tablespoon minced garlic (about 3 cloves)
- 1 piece (2 inches) gingerroot, peeled and sliced 1/8-inch thick
- 2 medium kaffir lime leaves*, preferably fresh
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 2 1/4 cups California golden raisins
- 1 package (14 ounces) Thai narrow dried rice noodles*
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 12 ounce boneless chicken thigh meat, very thinly sliced
- 3 cups green cabbage, roughly chopped
- 2 cups fresh snow peas, stemmed and strings removed
- 1 cup straw mushroom
- 1 cup baby corn
- 1 small carrot, sliced 1/8-inch thick on the bias (about 1/2 cup)
- 1 red bell pepper, stemmed, seeded and cut 1/8-inch julienne
- 2 to 3 large green onions cut into 2-inch lengths, green and white parts (1/2 cup)
- 1 pound small prawns (21/25); peeled, leaving only the tail, and deveined
- 2 cups fresh mung bean sprouts*
- 1/2 cup peanuts or pistachios, roasted and coarsely chopped
- Cilantro sprigs
- Fresh lime wedges
May be prepared up to 2 days in advance. In small saucepan over medium heat, bring the first 6 ingredients to a boil. Reduce heat to low and simmer for 10 minutes. Stir in sugar; mix well and simmer 2 minutes more. Remove from heat. Stor in a non-reactive container, tightly covered, in refrigerator.
Soak rice noodles in cold water for at least 20 minutes, or overnight; drain and set aside. Reheat sauce; strain through a sieve, discarding solids. Stir in raisins and set aside. Heat oil in a wok over high het until smoking; add chicken and cabbage and stir-fry for 2 minutes. Add remaining vegetables and stir-fry 1 minute longer. Stir in shrimp, noodles and sauce; heat, stirring gently, until shrimp are done and noodles are tender, about 1 to 2 minutes.
Transfer to a warm serving platter and top with bean sprouts, nuts, cilantro sprigs and lime wedges. Serve immediately.
1. Ingredients marked (*) are available in most Asian markets.
2. Adjust amount of red curry to control spiciness.
Nutrition Facts Per Serving
Calories 380 (40% from fat); Total Fat 17g (sat 10g, mono 4g, poly 2g, trans 0g ); Cholesterol 70mg; Protein 15g; Carbohydrate 45g; (Dietary Fiber 3g; Sugars 19g; ); Iron 4mg; Sodium 370mg; Calcium 52mg; Potassium 509mg
Comment on the Recipe
Comments may be moderated. If you don't see your comment, please be patient. It may be posted soon. Do not post your comment a second time. Thank you.