Combine all ingredients for dressing together in a blender. Whirl until smooth. Turn into saucepan and heat gently till bubbling; simmer 1 to 2 minutes until it thickens slightly. Cool completely.
Steam carrots 6 to 8 minutes, just until tender. Rinse in cold water and drain. Pour boiling water over bean sprouts and drain well. Line platter with lettuce leaves. Arrange overlapping cucumber slices around one edge of platter. Arrange carrot slices, pears and tofu in separate rows below. Pile bean sprouts in center. Squeeze lemon over pears. Sprinkle raisins over all and serve with dressing for dipping.
Note: Cooked, cubed chicken may be substituted for the tofu.
- 1/2 Cup water
- 1/4 Cup creamy peanut butter
- 2 Tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 Tablespoons sugar
- 1 Tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 large clove garlic, sliced
- Dash of ground red pepper
- 4 carrots, cut diagonally into 1/4-inch slices
- 1/2 Cup bean sprouts
- 1/2 head butter lettuce
- 1 cucumber, cut into 1/8-inch slices
- 1 fresh ripe pear, cut into thin wedges
- 1/4 Pound tofu, well drained and cut into 3/4-inch cubes
- 1 lemon
- 1 Cup California raisins