Fricassee of Chicken Casserole with California Raisins
Home-style chicken-vegetable stew with double California raisins.
- Serving Size: 2 pieces chicken and 1 cup stew
- 3 tablespoons bourbon whiskey or apple juice
- 1/2 cup low sodium chicken stock
- 1/2 cup California golden raisins
- 1/4 cup California natural raisins
- 2 sprigs fresh sage
- 1 1/4 pounds light and dark meat chicken pieces
- 3 ounce fresh baby carrots, cut in half
- 1/2 cup fresh baby turnips, cut in half
- 3 fingerling potatoes, cut in half diagonally
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 1/2 tablespoons thinly sliced shallots
- 1 sprig fresh sage
- 1 sprig fresh thyme
- 3/4 cup low sodium chicken stock
- Salt and pepper; to taste
In medium saucepan, combine bourbon and 1/2 cup chicken stock; bring to slow boil. Add raisins and cook over low heat for 5 minutes. Remove from heat; add sage and cover pan tightly. Let stand for at least 1 hour.
Meanwhile, in large sautépan, sauté chicken pieces and vegetables in butter and olive oil. When brown, add shallots, sage and thyme; cook 5 minutes. In saucepan over medium heat, reduce 3/4 cup chicken stock to 1/2 cup; add to sautépan and mix thoroughly. Stir in raisins and their liquid to sautépan. Transfer all to casserole. Bake at 375°F for 25 to 35 minutes or until bubbling and browned. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
Divide and portion vegetables into 6 individual serving bowls. Place two pieces of chicken on top and ladle desired amount of broth into each bowl. Serve hot.
Nutrition Facts Per Serving
Calories 300 (32% from fat); Total Fat 11g (sat 3.5g, mono 4g, poly 2g, trans 0g ); Cholesterol 70mg; Protein 21g; Carbohydrate 27g; (Dietary Fiber 2g; Sugars 16g; ); Iron 2mg; Sodium 135mg; Calcium 35mg; Potassium 675mg
Comment on the Recipe
Comments may be moderated. If you don't see your comment, please be patient. It may be posted soon. Do not post your comment a second time. Thank you.