- 3 Tablespoons bourbon whiskey or apple juice
- 1/2 Cup low sodium chicken stock
- 1/2 Cup California golden raisins
- 1/4 Cup California natural raisins
- 2 sprigs fresh sage
- 11/4 Pounds light and dark meat chicken pieces
- 3 Ounces fresh baby carrots, cut in half
- 1/2 Cup fresh baby turnips, cut in half
- 3 fingerling potatoes, cut in half diagonally
- 1 Tablespoon butter
- 1 Teaspoon olive oil
- 11/2 Tablespoons thinly sliced shallots
- 1 sprig fresh sage
- 1 sprig fresh thyme
- 3/4 Cup low sodium chicken stock
- Salt and pepper; to taste
In medium saucepan, combine bourbon and 1/2 cup chicken stock; bring to slow boil. Add raisins and cook over low heat for 5 minutes. Remove from heat; add sage and cover pan tightly. Let stand for at least 1 hour.
Meanwhile, in large sautépan, sauté chicken pieces and vegetables in butter and olive oil. When brown, add shallots, sage and thyme; cook 5 minutes. In saucepan over medium heat, reduce 3/4 cup chicken stock to 1/2 cup; add to sautépan and mix thoroughly. Stir in raisins and their liquid to sautépan. Transfer all to casserole. Bake at 375°F for 25 to 35 minutes or until bubbling and browned. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
Divide and portion vegetables into 6 individual serving bowls. Place two pieces of chicken on top and ladle desired amount of broth into each bowl. Serve hot.