Fish Tagines Stuffed with Rice and California Raisins
Submitted by: Rafih Benjelloun
Spicy sauce, fish, rice and vegetables to satisfy hungry guests.
- 1 whole bulb garlic, separated into cloves
- 1/2 cup very finely chopped fresh parsley
- 1/2 cup very finely chopped fresh cilantro
- 6 tablespoons ground paprika
- 2 tablespoons ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1/4 cup vinegar
- 3 bay leaves, crumbled
- 3/4 teaspoon chile flakes
- 2 cups California raisins, divided
- 1 cup olive oil
- 2 cups water
- 1 fresh whole fish (about 8 pounds), e.g., snapper, grouper, salmon, or sea bass
- 2 cups cooked rice, tossed with 2 tablespoons butter while hot
- 5 fresh ripe tomatoes, sliced
- 2 onions, peeled and sliced
- 2 potatoes, peeled and sliced
- 2 sweet potatoes, peeled and sliced
- 3 carrots; peeled and sliced
- 3 green bell peppers, seeded and sliced into rings
- 8 cups hot prepared saffron rice
- Sliced preserved lemons; for garnish
- 4 sprigs parsley; for garnish
- Green olives; for garnish
Peel garlic cloves; reserve one-half whole, and finely chop remaining half and mix together with parsley, cilantro, paprika, black pepper, cumin, vinegar, bay leaves, chile flakes, 1/2 cup raisins, olive oil and water in bowl.
Rub fish inside and out, coating well, with Charmoula Mixture. Then, mix remaining raisins with cooked and buttered rice; stir in 2 to 3 tablespoons Charmoula Mixture. Stuff fish with raisin-rice mixture and sew shut. Layer bottom of large pan, tagines or deep baking dish with sliced tomatoes, onions, and whole garlic cloves. Arrange fish on top and place remaining vegetables around and on top. Pour half of remaining Charmoula Mixture over all; cover and bake for 45 minutes to 1 hour at 300°F, basting frequently with Charmoula Mixture, until fish is done (145°F) and vegetables are tender.
Remove to serving platter layered with prepared saffron rice and garnish with preserved lemon slices, parsley sprigs and green olives. Serve piping hot.
Nutrition Facts Per Serving
Calories 630 (27% from fat); Total Fat 19g (sat 3g, mono 11g, poly 3g, trans 0g ); Cholesterol 90mg; Protein 52g; Carbohydrate 63g; (Dietary Fiber 4g; Sugars 19g; ); Iron 4mg; Sodium 180mg; Calcium 120mg; Potassium 1484mg
Comment on the Recipe
Comments may be moderated. If you don't see your comment, please be patient. It may be posted soon. Do not post your comment a second time. Thank you.