Dried Fruit and Nut Scones
Submitted by: Nancy Silverton
Packed full of flavor and crunch -- so good!
- 1 cup (5 ounces) whole almonds
- 3/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons unbleached pastry flour or unbleached all purpose flour
- 3/4 cup stone ground whole wheat flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1 1/4 cups rolled oats
- 1 stick plus 1 tablespoon (4 1/2 ounces) unsalted butter, cut into 1/2-inch cubes and frozen
- 2 teaspoons finely chopped orange zest (about 1 orange)
- 1/2 cup (3 ounces) California Zante currants
- 1 cup (5 ounces) California golden raisins, coarsely chopped
- 1 cup (8 ounces) dried cherries, coarsely chopped
- 1/2 cup flax seeds
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 3/4 cup cream and 1/3 cup granulated sugar; for brushing
- Powdered sugar; for decorating
Adjust oven rack to middle position and preheat to 325°F. Spread almonds on a baking sheet and toast in oven until browned, about 10 to 15 minutes. Shake pan halfway through to ensure that the nuts toast evenly. Cool, chop coarsely, and set aside.
Turn oven up to 350°F. In bowl of food processor with steel blade or in bowl of electric mixer with paddle attachment, combine flours; baking powder, baking soda, salt, sugar and oats; process or mix on low to incorporate. Add butter and pluse on and off, or mix on low, until mixture is pale yellow and consistency of fine cornmeal.
Transfer to mixing bowl and toss with almonds, orange zest, currants, raisins, cherries and flax seeds. Make well in center and pour in buttermilk with one hand, mix in dry ingredients, just until combined.Wash and dry hands and dust with flour. Turn dough onto lightly floured work surface and knead gently a few times and gather into ball. Place in center of 10-inch ring. With hands, press dough into circle, about 1-inch thick. Remove ring and cut circle in eighths. Arrange triangles, 1 inch apart on parchment-lined baking sheet.
Brush with cream and sprinkle with granulated sugar. Bake at 350°F for 35 to 45 minutes until firm and well browned. Cool and sift powdered sugar over all.
Nutrition Facts Per Serving
Calories 600 (39% from fat); Total Fat 27g (sat 10g, mono 11g, poly 5g, trans 0g ); Cholesterol 35mg; Protein 13g; Carbohydrate 81g; (Dietary Fiber 11g; Sugars 39g; ); Iron 4mg; Sodium 270mg; Calcium 168mg; Potassium 552mg
Comment on the Recipe
Comments may be moderated. If you don't see your comment, please be patient. It may be posted soon. Do not post your comment a second time. Thank you.