Dirty Rice Salad Version 2.0
Sweet, chilled version of a traditional Cajun dish.
- 1/2 cup California raisin juice concentrate
- 1/4 cup Dijon-style mustard
- 1/2 cup rice wine vinegar
- 1 cup olive oil
- 4-1/2 teaspoons Louisiana hot sauce; or to taste
- Sea salt, to taste
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 cup diced yellow onion
- 2 teaspoons filé powder
- 2 teaspoons chopped garlic
- 1-1/2 cup Indian Harvest® Black Pearl Medley®
- 2 teaspoons chicken soup base
- 2-1/2 cup water
- 1/2 dried bay leaf
- 1/2 cup (6 ounces) California golden raisin paste
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup thinly sliced fresh okra
- 1 large red bell pepper, diced 1/4-inch (1/2 cup)
- 1 large yellow bell pepper, diced 1/4-inch (1/2 cup)
- 2 cups fresh or frozen black-eyed peas
- 1 cup 1/4-inch diced tasso ham
- 2 cups California golden raisins
- 1 cup sliced green onions
Measure raisin juice concentrate, mustard and vinegar into blender container and, with motor running, add olive oil in slow steady stream until emulsified. Season to taste with hot sauce and salt; set aside.
Heat large, heavy pot over medium-high heat; add and heat 2 tablespoons olive oil till very hot. then, add diced yellow onion and cook 1 minute. Sprinkle with file powder and stir to combine well. Reduce heat to medium and stir in garlic, Black Pearl Medley, and chicken soup base; cook for 3 to 4 minute, strring often. Then, add water, bay leaf and raisin paste; mix together well. Transfer to 4-inch half-pan (10 x 12-inch) and roast at 350 degrees F for about 35 minutes. Remove from oven, fluff with fork and set aside until cooled.
Heat large sautepan over medium-high heat and heat 2 tabelspoons olive oil till very hot. Add okra and bell peppers; cook about 3 minutes, stirring often. Then stir in black-eyed peas, tasso ham and golden raisins; cook for 2 more minutes, stirring often. Remove from heat and set aside to cool to room temperature. Combine cooked rice and vegetable-raisin mixture in large bowl. Add sliced green onions and viniagrette; toss to combine well; and adjust seasonings to taste.
For black-eyed peas, select fresh or Individually Quick Frozen (IQF). Blanch fresh in boiling salted water and cool before adding to salad; thaw IQF.
Nutrition Facts Per Serving
Calories 510 (45% from fat); Total Fat 27g (sat 4.5g, mono 19g, poly 3g, trans 0g ); Cholesterol 10mg; Protein 10g; Carbohydrate 63g; (Dietary Fiber 7g; Sugars 33g; ); Iron 3mg; Sodium 270mg; Calcium 62mg; Potassium 632mg
Comment on the Recipe
Comments may be moderated. If you don't see your comment, please be patient. It may be posted soon. Do not post your comment a second time. Thank you.