- 2 Cups butter or margarine, softened
- 2 Cups sugar
- 6 eggs
- 1/2 Cup lemon juice
- 3 Tablespoons grated lemon peel
- 33/4 Cups flour
- 2 Teaspoons baking powder
- 4 Cups coarsely chopped walnuts
- 21/2 Cups California golden or natural raisins
In large mixer bowl, cream butter and sugar. Gradually add eggs; beat well. Stir in lemon juice and peel. Combine remaining ingredients; gradually stir into egg mixture until blended. Spoon batter into greased and floured 10-inch tube pan; let stand 10 minutes. Bake in 325°F oven for 1 hour 45 minutes, or until browned and pick inserted into center comes out clean. Let cool on rack 15 minutes; remove from pan to cool completely. Wrap; let stand a day before slicing. Dust with powdered sugar before serving.
Note: Cake can be wrapped in brandy-soaked cloth and stored in covered container 1 to 2 weeks.