Couscous with Vegetables
Veggies, grains and beans for a filling vegetarian entrée or sidedish.
- Serving Size: 1 cup
- 1 1/2 pounds durhum wheat couscous
- 6 tablespoons virgin olive oil, divided
- Pinch saffron or ground turmeric (optional)
- Salt; to taste
- 1 1/2 cups warm water
- 3 tablespoons clarified, unsalted butter; melted
- 6 cups water
- 1 1/2 tablespoons paprika
- 1 1/2 tablespoons black pepper
- 6 bay leaves
- 9 stems parsley, finely chopped
- 6 stems cilantro, finely chopped
- 3 tablespoons (1 1/2 ounces) olive oil
- 1 potato, peeled and cut into batonnets
- 1 carrot, peeled and cut into batonnets
- 1 orange-flesh sweet potato, peeled and cut into batonnets
- 1 turnip, peeled and cut into batonnets
- 1 onion, peeled and cut into batonnets
- 1/4 head cabbage, cut into cubes
- 1 yellow squash, cut into batonnets
- 1 green zucchini, cut into batonnets
- 1 green bell pepper, seeded and cut into batonnets
- 1 fresh ripe tomato, cut into batonnets
- 1 small butternut squash, peeled and cut into batonnets
- 1 small eggplant, cut into batonnets
- 1 1/2 cups California raisins
- 1/4 cup cooked or canned garbanzo beans
In a large bowl, combine couscous, 1 tablespoon olive oil, saffron and salt to taste. Mix together with warm water. Let sit 15 to 30 minutes.
Measure the 6 cups of water into bottom part of couscousiére or steamer; add paprika, black pepper, bay leaves, parsley, cilantro, olive oil and hard vegetables. Heat to boiling. Meanwhile, rub couscous together by hand to remove lumps and add to top of couscousiére or steamer; place over vegetables. After steam comes through, add clarified butter to couscous; steam for 20 minutes and rub well. Then, add soft vegetables to bottom of couscousiére or steamer; replace top containing couscous and steam for 10 to 15 minutes more. Then, add raisins and garbanzos to top; continue steaming until heated through and couscous and all vegetables are done.
To serve, mound couscous in center of large platter and spoon on cooked vegetables, reserving a few raisins and garbanzos to sprinkle on top.
Nutrition Facts Per Serving
Calories 460 (27% from fat); Total Fat 14g (sat 3g, mono 9g, poly 1g, trans 0g ); Cholesterol 10mg; Protein 10g; Carbohydrate 75g; (Dietary Fiber 8g; Sugars 18g; ); Iron 2mg; Sodium 30mg; Calcium 66mg; Potassium 708mg
This recipe is found in the following categories:
Comment on the Recipe
Comments may be moderated. If you don't see your comment, please be patient. It may be posted soon. Do not post your comment a second time. Thank you.