Couscous Salad with California Raisins
Make a big batch for buffets or festive meals of all kinds or serve often at home.
- 2 cups chicken stock, homemade or canned
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon turmeric
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 piece (1-inch) fresh gingerroot, peeled and finely grated
- 1 cup couscous
- 1 cup California raisins
- 1 medium zucchini, trimmed and diced 1/4 inch
- 1 medium carrot, trimmed and diced 1/4 inch
- 1/4 cup green onions, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup toasted, chopped pistachios or pine nuts; for garnish
Bring stock to boil in large pot and add the oil, turmeric, cinnamon, cumin, ginger and couscous; heat and stir on low heat to simmer until liquid has been absorbed, about 2 minutes. Remove from heat and add raisins, zucchini, carrots and green onions; fold gently to combine. Cover pot and let stand for 15 minutes.
Meanwhile, whisk together lemon juice, salt and pepper; drizzle over couscous and toss to mix well. Chill at least 2 hours before serving. Serve at room temperature, garnished with toasted pine nuts.
Nutrition Facts Per Serving
Calories 240 (34% from fat); Total Fat 9g (sat 1.5g, mono 7g, poly 1g, trans 0g ); Cholesterol 0mg; Protein 5g; Carbohydrate 36g; (Dietary Fiber 3g; Sugars 16g; ); Iron 2mg; Sodium 290mg; Calcium 31mg; Potassium 345mg
Comment on the Recipe
Comments may be moderated. If you don't see your comment, please be patient. It may be posted soon. Do not post your comment a second time. Thank you.