Cornflake-crusted Panettone with California Raisin, Cranberry and Apple Compote
Italian sweet bread french toasted and topped with a fruity compote.
- 1/2 cup candied orange zest
- 1/2 cup California raisins
- 2 tablespoons Grand Marnier
- 2 1/4 teaspoons dry yeast
- 1/4 cup warm water
- 2 teaspoons honey
- 3/4 cup cold milk
- 4 tablespoons softened butter
- 1 egg yolk
- 2 whole eggs
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 cups bread flour
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons sugar
California Raisin, Cranberry and Apple Compote
- 1/2 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup fresh or frozen cranberries
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice (1 lemon)
- 1/2 cup California raisins
- 3 medium Granny Smith apples; peeled, cored and diced small
Batter for Bread
- 3/4 cup heavy cream
- 3 eggs
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Pinch of kosher salt
- 3 cups crushed cornflakes
- 2 cups clarified butter
- Powdered sugar in a shaker
- Warm maple syrup in a pitcher
- 1/2 cup butter (1 stick), sliced into pats
Combine candied orange zest, raisins and Grand Marnier in a small container and marinate overnight.
Preheat oven to 350°F.
In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water and honey. Add remaining ingredients to yeast mixture and knead until dough is smooth, about 10 to 12 minutes. Fold in marinated fruit until combined. Place dough in a greased bowl, and then put bowl in a warm area. Let dough rise until doubled in volume. Divide dough into 2 loaves; shape and let loaves rise until doubled in volume again. Bake at 350°F until golden brown. Set bread aside until ready to use.
In a stainless steel saucepan, bring cider vinegar, sugar and cranberries to boil; cook 2 to 3 minutes or until cranberries soften. Add lemon juice, raisins and apples, stirring gently. Reduce heat, cover and simmer 5 minutes. Remove cover and cook 5 to 6 minutes longer or until apples soften. Keep warm until ready to use.
Preheat oven to 175°F.
In a mixing bowl, whisk together all batter ingredients. Slice panettone into 1-inch thick slices. Quickly batter only number of slices that will fit into mixing bowl and skillet at one time; sprinkle with crushed cornflakes. Mirror a 12-inch nonstick skillet or griddle with clarified butter and cook toast on both sides until golden brown. Hold cooked toast in oven while cooking remaining pieces.
When ready to serve, arrange cooked panettone on platter. Put compote in center and sprinkle toast with powdered sugar. Serve with syrup and butter on side.
Nutrition Facts Per Serving
Calories 860 (56% from fat); Total Fat 55g (sat 33g, mono 16g, poly 3g, trans 0g ); Cholesterol 245mg; Protein 11g; Carbohydrate 84g; (Dietary Fiber 3g; Sugars 41g; ); Iron 3mg; Sodium 550mg; Calcium 65mg; Potassium 284mg
Comment on the Recipe
Comments may be moderated. If you don't see your comment, please be patient. It may be posted soon. Do not post your comment a second time. Thank you.