Citrus, Golden Raisin, Pickled Onion Salsa
Serve with grilled chicken or steak or try it to dunk crispy torilla strips.
- Serving Size: 2 tablespoons
- 3 red onions, cut in matchstick-size pieces (julienne)
- 2 cups rice wine vinegar
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 3 serrano chiles, seeded and minced
- 3/4 cup (12 ounces) fresh blood orange juice
- 1/4 cup (2 ounces) fresh lime juice
- 2 tablespoons habanero sauce, Tabasco® brand
- 1/2 cup piloncillo or brown sugar
- 2 cups California golden raisins
- Sea salt, to taste
In large saucepan, bring 2 quarts of water to boil. Arrange onion pieces in colander and pour boiling water over. Drain thoroughly. Combine vinegar and sugar in a 2-quart nonreactive bowl and mix thoroughly. Stir in chiles. Add onion; mix well and allow to stand for 30 minutes.
In another mixing bowl, combine orange juice, lime juice and habanero sauce. Add sugar and mix until sugar is all dissolved. Stir in raisins and allow to plump for 10 minutes. Then, add onion mixture; stir to combine and season with salt to taste. Serve with grilled and roasted meats.
Nutrition Facts Per Serving
Calories 80 (1% from fat); Total Fat 0g (sat 0g, mono 0g, poly 0g, trans 0g ); Cholesterol 0mg; Protein 1g; Carbohydrate 22g; (Dietary Fiber <1g; Sugars 19g; ); Iron 0mg; Sodium 10mg; Calcium 15mg; Potassium 161mg
Comment on the Recipe
Comments may be moderated. If you don't see your comment, please be patient. It may be posted soon. Do not post your comment a second time. Thank you.