A beautiful addition to any gift basket.
- Prep Time : 30 min
- Cook Time : 55 min
- Ready Time : 1 hour, 25 min
- 3 1/3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla sugar*
- 4 drops almond flavoring concentrate*
- 5 drops lemon flavoring concentrate*
- 1 teaspoon rum flavoring concentrate*
- 2 eggs
- 1/3 cup cold butter
- 1 1/4 cups cream cheese
- 1 1/2 cups California raisins
- 1/4 cup California Zante currants
- 1 cup chopped candied orange and lemon peel
- 1 1/2 cups ground almonds
- 1/4 cup melted butter
- 1/2 cup sifted powdered sugar
Preheat oven to 325°F. Butter a 15×10-inch jelly roll pan; set aside.
Sift flour and baking powder together onto pastry board. Make a well in center. Put sugar, vanilla sugar, flavoring concentrates and eggs in well. Work a little flour into egg mixture to make a thick paste. Cut cold butter into small pieces over flour mixture. Knead butter, cream cheese, raisins, currants, peels and nuts into mixture to combine thoroughly. If dough is sticky add a little flour.
Shape into a loaf on prepared baking pan. Bake on middle oven rack at 325°F for 50 to 60 minutes or until golden. Brush cake immediately after baking with melted butter. Sprinkle with powdered sugar just before serving.
Note: Available at gourmet shops or substitute 2 tablespoons of rum for flavoring.
Nutrition Facts Per Serving
Calories 300 (40% from fat); Total Fat 14g (sat 7g, mono 5g, poly 1g, trans 0g ); Cholesterol 50mg; Protein 5g; Carbohydrate 40g; (Dietary Fiber 2g; Sugars 16g; ); Iron 2mg; Sodium 125mg; Calcium 35mg; Potassium 200mg
This recipe is found in the following categories:
Comment on the Recipe
Comments may be moderated. If you don't see your comment, please be patient. It may be posted soon. Do not post your comment a second time. Thank you.