- 31/3 Cups all-purpose flour
- 11/2 Teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 Cup sugar
- 2 Teaspoons vanilla sugar*
- 4 Drops almond flavoring concentrate*
- 5 Drops lemon flavoring concentrate*
- 1 Teaspoon rum flavoring concentrate*
- 2 eggs
- 1/3 Cup cold butter
- 11/4 Cups cream cheese
- 11/2 Cups California raisins
- 1/4 Cup California Zante currants
- 1 Cup chopped candied orange and lemon peel
- 11/2 Cups ground almonds
- 1/4 Cup melted butter
- 1/2 Cup sifted powdered sugar
Preheat oven to 325°F. Butter a 15×10-inch jelly roll pan; set aside.
Sift flour and baking powder together onto pastry board. Make a well in center. Put sugar, vanilla sugar, flavoring concentrates and eggs in well. Work a little flour into egg mixture to make a thick paste. Cut cold butter into small pieces over flour mixture. Knead butter, cream cheese, raisins, currants, peels and nuts into mixture to combine thoroughly. If dough is sticky add a little flour.
Shape into a loaf on prepared baking pan. Bake on middle oven rack at 325°F for 50 to 60 minutes or until golden. Brush cake immediately after baking with melted butter. Sprinkle with powdered sugar just before serving.
Note: Available at gourmet shops or substitute 2 tablespoons of rum for flavoring.