Chilaquiles with California Raisins and Chicken Chorizo
Spicy Mexican sauce, crispy tortilla strips and chicken make an exciting dish.
- Serving Size: 3/4 cup sauce and 3/4 cup tortilla chips
- 6 dried New Mexican red chiles, stemmed and seeded
- 1 ancho chile, stemmed and seeded
- Water; as needed
- 1/2 cup California raisin paste*
- 1 red onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped
- 4 tablespoons corn oil, divided
- 3 fresh ripe Roma tomatoes, roasted and seeded
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin, divided
- 1 pound ground chicken
- 1 teaspoon chilli powder
- 2 teaspoons smoked ground paprika
- 1 teaspoon ground Mexican oregano
- 1 envelope Sazon Goya
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1 cup California raisins
- 1 cup cooked pinto beans
- 12 corn tortillas (6 inches)
- Salt and pepper; to taste
- 1/2 pound Queso Fresco, crumbled
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced green onions
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro
Arrange chiles in large bowl and add hot water to cover; let stand 15 minutes or until softened. Turn chiles into blender along with 1 cup of the liquid; add raisin paste and purée until smooth. Set aside.
Heat 2 tablespoons corn oil in large, heavy skillet. Add chicken, remaining 1/2 teaspoon cumin, and other seasonings; sauté over low heat until chicken is cooked, about 5 minutes. Stir in the puréed chile sauce, chicken broth, raisins and beans; simmer 10 minutes or until heated through.
Meanwhile, brush tortillas with remaining 1 tablespoon oil and cut into strips. Spread in single layer on baking sheet and bake at 400°F for 10 to 15 minutes or just until chewy and almost crisp. Then, season chicken mixture to taste with salt and pepper and stir in tortilla chips or divide and spoon sauce over tortilla chips for individual servings; garnish with cheese, green onions and cilantro.
Note: Commercially prepared California raisin paste is available from foodservice and industrial suppliers. To make your own raisin paste, grind or process in a food processor whole California natural raisins (1 cup) equal to twice the amount of raisin paste (1/2 cup) required until very finely chopped and smooth.
Nutrition Facts Per Serving
Calories 390 (30% from fat); Total Fat 14g (sat 3.5g, mono 4g, poly 5g, trans 0g ); Cholesterol 40mg; Protein 21g; Carbohydrate 50g; (Dietary Fiber 7g; Sugars 27g; ); Iron 3mg; Sodium 290mg; Calcium 174mg; Potassium 668mg
Comment on the Recipe
Comments may be moderated. If you don't see your comment, please be patient. It may be posted soon. Do not post your comment a second time. Thank you.