Chickpea Crostini with Moroccan Sweet Hot Tomato Sauce
Moroccan-style crostini with a spicy raisin sauce.
- Serving Size: 1 crostini plus 1/2 tablespoon sauce
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons red onion, cut into 1/4-inch dice
- 2 teaspoons minced fresh gingerroot
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon ground red pepper; to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt; to taste
- 5 tablespoons honey
- 3/4 cup California golden raisins
- 6 tablespoons dried apricots , cut into 1/4-inch wide strips
- 1-2/3 cup canned whole pear or diced tomatoes with juice
- 10 cups vegetable stock, divided
- 8 tablespoons (1 stick) unsalted butter
- Coarse sea salt; to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon ground red pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 4-1/2 cups chickpea flour
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro leaves; for garnish
- Olive oil; as needed
For Sauce, heat oil in large skillet or 3-quart saucepan over medium heat. Add onion, gingerroot and spices; cook for 5 minutes over medium heat, stirring often. Stir in honey, tomatoes, raisins and apricots; simmer for 30 mintues over low heat, stirring often
For Crostini, heat 7 cups stock, butter, salt and pepper to simmer in large stockpot. In mixing bowl, combine chickpea flour with remaining 3 cups stock and mix together to make slurry. Slowly add slurry to hot liquid, whisking constantly, and cook, whisking vigorously all the while, until mixture thickens, about 5 to 10 minutes. Remvoe from heat and cool.
Meanwhile, line 11X15-inch baking sheet with foil. Add cooled mixture and spread evenly. Cover with plastic wrap, and chill until firm, about 1 hour. Then, cut into 35 circles with 2-inch plain round cutter.
Heat griddle or large frypan over medium-high heat; coat with olive oil. Dust crostini with additional chickpea flour; add to griddle or pan in single layer and brown on both sides. Set aside on paper towels to drain; keep warm.
To serve, reheat sauce. Arrange crostini on large platter or individual serving plates; top each with 1/2 tablespoon Moroccan Sweet Hot Tomato Sauce (see recipe above) and sprinkle with cilantro. Serve hot.
Nutrition Facts Per Serving
Calories 100 (38% from fat); Total Fat 4.5g (sat 2g, mono 1g, poly 0g, trans 0g ); Cholesterol 5mg; Protein 3g; Carbohydrate 14g; (Dietary Fiber <1g; Sugars 7g; ); Iron 1mg; Sodium 115mg; Calcium 21mg; Potassium 86mg
Comment on the Recipe
Comments may be moderated. If you don't see your comment, please be patient. It may be posted soon. Do not post your comment a second time. Thank you.