Carrot Vichyssoise with Raisins
Bright carrots color this classic cold potato soup topped with California raisins.
- Serving Size: 1 cup
- 3 large leeks, white and light green parts only
- Cooking spray
- 1 medium clove garlic, minced
- 2 small potatoes; peeled and cut in chunks
- 3 carrots; peeled and sliced
- 2 1/2 cups chicken broth (homemade or canned)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- Pinch freshly ground black pepper
- 2 cups whole milk
- 2 small potatoes, cut in matchstick-size pieces
- 2 carrots, cut in matchstick-size pieces
- 1 cup California golden raisins
- 3 tablespoons snipped fresh chives
Coarsely chop leeks and soak in cold water, about 5 minutes, to loosen dirt and sand. Lift out of water; drain thoroughly. Spray bottom of large kettle with cooking spray; place over low heat. Add leeks and garlic; cover and cook, stirring occasionally, until leeks are wilted, about 12 minutes. Add potatoes, carrots and broth. Cover and bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer until vegetables are tender, 15 to 20 minutes. Remove from heat; stir in seasonings and milk and purée in blender until smooth. Chill.
When ready to serve, place potato sticks, carrots sticks and raisins in a small pot of boiling water. Simmer until just tender, 2 to 3 minutes. Drain; transfer to ice-water bath until cool. Drain and stir into puréed soup. Divide soup among 6 bowls, and sprinkle each with snipped chives.
Nutrition Facts Per Serving
Calories 190 (13% from fat); Total Fat 3g (sat 1.5g, mono 1g, poly 0g, trans 0g ); Cholesterol 10mg; Protein 6g; Carbohydrate 37g; (Dietary Fiber 4g; Sugars 21g; ); Iron 2mg; Sodium 530mg; Calcium 126mg; Potassium 707mg
Comment on the Recipe
Comments may be moderated. If you don't see your comment, please be patient. It may be posted soon. Do not post your comment a second time. Thank you.