Sprinkle eggplant cubes with salt and let stand in a colander for about 1 hour. Rinse and pat dry. Toss with zucchini in 1 tablespoon of olive oil and spread in single layer on a sheet pan. Roast in 350°F oven until browned.
Sauté celery and onions briefly in remaining 1/2 tablespoon olive oil until cooked, but still firm. Add eggplant and zucchini. Deglaze pan with vinegar, and then add sugar. Stir in tomato purée, tomatoes, capers, currants, raisins and olives. Adjust seasonings and add chopped basil just before serving.
Garnish with blood orange supremes and herb leaves, if desired.
- 1 medium eggplant, washed and diced in 1-inch pieces
- 1/2 Teaspoon salt
- 1 zucchini, diced small
- 11/2 Tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1/2 Cup celery, diced
- 11/2 onions, chopped or cut into 1/4-inch slices
- 1 Tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 1/2 Teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 Cup fire-roasted tomato purée
- 3 Tablespoons diced Roma tomatoes
- 11/2 Tablespoons capers, rinsed
- 1 Cup California Zante currants
- 1 Cup California golden raisins
- 5 black and 5 green olives, pitted and chopped
- 1/2 Tablespoon chopped basil
- 3 blood oranges, peeled and supremed
- Sage and thyme leaves