Caponata Agrodulce (Sweet-Sour Sauce)
From The Culinary Institute of America and the Produce for Better Health Foundation
A savory accompaniment to pork kebabs grilled on rosemary skewers or other meats.
- Serving Size: 1/4 cup
- 1 medium eggplant, washed and diced in 1-inch pieces
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 zucchini, diced small
- 1 1/2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1/2 cup celery, diced
- 1 1/2 onions, chopped or cut into 1/4-inch slices
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 cup fire-roasted tomato purée
- 3 tablespoons diced Roma tomatoes
- 1 1/2 tablespoons capers, rinsed
- 1 cup California Zante currants
- 1 cup California golden raisins
- 5 black and 5 green olives, pitted and chopped
- 1/2 tablespoon chopped basil
- 3 blood oranges, peeled and supremed
- Sage and thyme leaves
Sprinkle eggplant cubes with salt and let stand in a colander for about 1 hour. Rinse and pat dry. Toss with zucchini in 1 tablespoon of olive oil and spread in single layer on a sheet pan. Roast in 350°F oven until browned.
Sauté celery and onions briefly in remaining 1/2 tablespoon olive oil until cooked, but still firm. Add eggplant and zucchini. Deglaze pan with vinegar, and then add sugar. Stir in tomato purée, tomatoes, capers, currants, raisins and olives. Adjust seasonings and add chopped basil just before serving.
Garnish with blood orange supremes and herb leaves, if desired.
Nutrition Facts Per Serving
Calories 90 (17% from fat); Total Fat 2g (sat 0g, mono 1g, poly 0g, trans 0g ); Cholesterol 0mg; Protein 2g; Carbohydrate 19g; (Dietary Fiber 2g; Sugars 15g; ); Iron 1mg; Sodium 150mg; Calcium 24mg; Potassium 328mg
Comment on the Recipe
Comments may be moderated. If you don't see your comment, please be patient. It may be posted soon. Do not post your comment a second time. Thank you.