- On Day 1, combine water and raisins; let stand in a warm place for 48 hours.
- On Day 3, strain, reserving liquid and discarding raisins. Mix 1 cup of the raisin liquid with 8 ounces of flour; let rest at room temperature for 24 hours.
- On Day 4, reserve 8 ounces of mixture and discard the remainder. Mix with 8 ounces water and 8 ounces flour; let stand for 12 hours.
- Repeat Step 4 two times per day for 5 days more. (This will increase the yeast cell density and add acidity to the starter.)
- On Day 9, save all of the starter (24 ounces) and feed it 24 ounces (3 cups) of water and 24 ounces of flour.
- The starter is now ready for use in bread
Nutrition Facts Per Serving(Calories from Fat %); ( );
Try Another Recipe
California Raisin Whole Wheat Starter
There are many more ways to use raisins for healthy cooking. Take a look at our recipe page for more delicious dishes.View All Recipes
Raisins are all natural!