California Raisin Mousse Cake
Simple, tasty, elegant — an unforgettable dessert with double raisin pleasure.
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 cups flour
- 4 eggs
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup California raisin paste*
- 1 cup (8 ounces) cream cheese, softened
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- 3 cups grated carrots (about 5 large carrots)
- 1 cup plumped California raisins
- 3/4 cup (6 ounces) heavy cream
- 1/4 cup (1 1/2 ounces) sugar
- 3 egg yolks
- 4 1/2 sheets gelatin (1/4-ounce envelope)
- 1/4 cup cold water
- 1/4 cup (1 ounce) California raisin paste*
- 1 1/3 cups (11 ounces) Crème Anglaise (recipe above), at 90 - 100°F
- 1 1/2 cups (12 ounces) heavy cream, whipped to medium peaks
- Whipped cream; for garnish
Preheat oven to 350°F. Butter and flour a 18×13-inch half-sheet pan; set aside.
Beat sugar, flour, eggs, oil, raisin paste and cream cheese together. Combine baking soda, salt, cinnamon, vanilla and nutmeg in another mixing bowl; add grated carrots and raisins and mix well. Then, mix into cream cheese mixture until combined. Pour batter into prepared pan(s). Bake at 350°F for 55 minutes, until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool and cut cake(s) into two 8-inch circles. Arrange in bottom of 8-inch springform molds lined with acetate or plastic wrap. Set aside.
Combine heavy cream, sugar and egg yolks. Measure 11 ounces and set aside.
Soften gelatin in 1/4 cup cold water; heat gently and stir until dissolved. Set aside to cool. Then, combine gelatin, raisin paste and crème anglaise; beat well. Fold into whipped cream, 1/3 at a time. Divide and spoon over cakes in molds. Chill overnight or until set. Unmold; cut each cake into 12 slices. Top each slice with a rosette of whipped cream.
Note: Commercially prepared California raisin paste is available from foodservice and industrial suppliers. To make your own, grind or process in a food processor whole California natural raisins equal to twice the amount of raisin paste required ( 1 1/2 cups) until very finely chopped and smooth.
Nutrition Facts Per Serving
Calories 370 (53% from fat); Total Fat 22g (sat 8g, mono 9g, poly 3g, trans 0g ); Cholesterol 105mg; Protein 4g; Carbohydrate 40g; (Dietary Fiber 1g; Sugars 26g; ); Iron 1mg; Sodium 260mg; Calcium 43mg; Potassium 199mg
Comment on the Recipe
Comments may be moderated. If you don't see your comment, please be patient. It may be posted soon. Do not post your comment a second time. Thank you.