California Golden Raisin Waldorf Salad
Special dressing for a traditional salad.
- 1 1/2 pasteurized egg yolks (1-1/2 tablespoons) or egg substitute
- 1/4 cup walnut oil
- 1/4 cup crème fraiche or sour cream
- 1/4 cup plain unflavored yogurt
- 1 1/2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- Salt and pepper; to taste
- 1 Granny Smith apple, julienne
- 1 ripe pear, julienne
- 2 tablespoons celery, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup California golden raisins
- 1 cup Waldorf Dressing (above)
- 1/4 cup walnuts, toasted and chopped
Whisk egg yolks and slowly add walnut oil, beating all the while till emulsified. Fold in crème fraiche, yogurt and lemon juice. Season to taste. Set aside. Combine all ingredients for salad except walnuts and chill for at least 1 hour. About 1 hour before serving, fold toasted walnuts into salad; divide and spoon onto individual serving plates.
Notes: If pasteurized egg yolks are unavailable, combine yolks, crème fraîche and yogurt in top of double boiler and heat 15 to 20 minutes, stirring constantly, to get to 160°F. Then, whisk in oil and lemon juice and whisk till emulsified.
See recipe for Duck Terrine with Brandied California Raisins, Baby Lettuce and Marinated Asparagus, California Golden Raisin Waldorf and Port Wine Raisin Sweet.
Nutrition Facts Per Serving
Calories 300 (56% from fat); Total Fat 19g (sat 4g, mono 4g, poly 9g, trans 0g ); Cholesterol 85mg; Protein 3g; Carbohydrate 30g; (Dietary Fiber 3g; Sugars 23g; ); Iron 1mg; Sodium 25mg; Calcium 73mg; Potassium 328mg
Comment on the Recipe
Comments may be moderated. If you don't see your comment, please be patient. It may be posted soon. Do not post your comment a second time. Thank you.