Whisk egg yolks and slowly add walnut oil, beating all the while till emulsified. Fold in crème fraiche, yogurt and lemon juice. Season to taste. Set aside. Combine all ingredients for salad except walnuts and chill for at least 1 hour. About 1 hour before serving, fold toasted walnuts into salad; divide and spoon onto individual serving plates.
Notes: If pasteurized egg yolks are unavailable, combine yolks, crème fraîche and yogurt in top of double boiler and heat 15 to 20 minutes, stirring constantly, to get to 160°F. Then, whisk in oil and lemon juice and whisk till emulsified.
See recipe for Duck Terrine with Brandied California Raisins, Baby Lettuce and Marinated Asparagus, California Golden Raisin Waldorf and Port Wine Raisin Sweet.
- 11/2 pasteurized egg yolks (1-1/2 tablespoons) or egg substitute
- 1/4 Cup walnut oil
- 1/4 Cup crème fraiche or sour cream
- 1/4 Cup plain unflavored yogurt
- 11/2 Tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- Salt and pepper; to taste
- 1 Granny Smith apple, julienne
- 1 ripe pear, julienne
- 2 Tablespoons celery, finely chopped
- 1/2 Cup California golden raisins
- 1 Cup Waldorf Dressing (above)
- 1/4 Cup walnuts, toasted and chopped